Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Knuckledragger

Are okies allowed here?

Hey yall..I'm new here. Started flyfishin about 2 years ago after a friend passed away and his wife gave me his fly rods. Knew nothing about fly fishing but watched enough youtube videos to get me started. 2 years later I've caught everything from sunfish in the creeks to redfish in the gulf.

Last week my dad brought over a bunch of fly tying equipment that he had ratholed and forgot about and gave to me. Now I've got something else to learn. Looking forward to learning from you guys.

Stay warm!

Welcome. Looks like you've got a great start. You'll find all sorts of great information and help here. Fantastic cross-section of fly fishing and tying on this site. Everything from rank beginners thru experts. Don't be shy about asking questions, either.

Back in 1975, I met a gentleman from Oklahoma on the Madison River in Yellowstone. He was streamer fishing the 7 mile hole, and catching some nice browns. I watch from the bank as he finished the run, and we got to talking. He showed me a few flies, and how he was doing his retrieve. He said I should use a 7# leader since that would be heavy enough to pull free of the weeds.

I learned that he would come out every October after he got his crops in. Nice guy, but we never did meet up again. So Okies are OK with me.

I knew some guys out of Enid, OK, they were great and treated us at the resort golf course very kindly...

Welcome to the forum! I am in Owasso, OK. Not sure how many people on here are actually in OK though. Would be cool to find out though!

Yes it would nick! I'd love to meet up with other flytyers/fly fisherman. I fish with the only other guy I know of who does. I run into a lot of "I used to a long time ago" fly fishermen.

NICE TO SEE A FELLOW OKIE ON HERENE I LIVE IN MCALESTER OK BEEN FLYFISHING 30 YRS I SEBT YOU MESSAGE THROUGH THE FORUM SO GET IN TOUCH. I AM GLAD THERE ARE OTHERS IN MY AREA SO WELCOME