Fly Tying
jburge

Tenkara swap (any style, all are welcome)

And to add what DavidHE has already posted:

Google "tenkara flies" (loads of images, sites, and videos)

Go to youtube and search "tenkara flies" (plenty of good videos)

Jason Klass has put together a nice "how-to":

http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2011/08/a-beginners-guide-to-tying-tenkara-flies/

As to the hooks, you have all kinds of options. Yes, many tenkara style flies are tied on scud hooks, but they don't have to be. Look at the videos.

Well, I will have flies for the swap. They will be in a Tenkara style. But the beaded bomber may have to be saved for a different swap down the line. I can't get the fly to behave right. Guy who listed said it's a tough tie with a learning curve and he's definitely right. I probably will end up with a more standard fly pattern but won't give up yet. Haven't been able to do anything that looks as good as the flies on the site I'm trying to copy tho so end my be in sight for the beaded bomber idea.

Go with what works for you. I wouldn't worry so much about absolutely perfect flies. The more you tie, the better you'll get.

These flies are kinda difficult.. I think I figured out the pattern I'm going to do. Going to be a dry/wet black and white pattern. Should be done by the end of next week.

These flies are kinda difficult.. I think I figured out the pattern I'm going to do. Going to be a dry/wet black and white pattern. Should be done by the end of next week.

Well, don't make it too difficult. Tenkara is simple. You don't need a lot of complexity for an effective fly :-) Remember, some patterns are nothing more than thread and hackle.

uhg.. This white thread I got is not good for these flies.. Making a change for the better.

Here is my fly I will be tying for the swap. Silver Badger Saddle Hackle. Size 14 Tenkara Ishigaki Kebari

post-50719-0-68320000-1389935049_thumb.jpg

uhg.. This white thread I got is not good for these flies.. Making a change for the better.

Here is my fly I will be tying for the swap. Silver Badger Saddle Hackle. Size 14 Tenkara Ishigaki Kebari

attachicon.gifIMG_1799.jpg

Nicely done! "That dog will hunt." :-)

Well, the first set arrived and they're gorgeous. Horseshoes has the honor of being first one in. All here safe and sound, and thanks for the extras!

Well, I have my sets done and I'll have them off tomorrow. The first one I tackled an unusual tie and think it worked fairly well except ended up with maybe a little too much thread loop rabbit fur used for hackle on some. Used stripped peacock for body and rabbit fur dubbing with a glass bead head. Also ran out of light olive fur so half are dark olive, dubbed thorax and thread body.

Did an accompanying tie that struck me as a good way to tie since Tenkara flies are backwards anyway. Mounted the hook in the vise by the eye and tied the fly backwards. Grizzly hackle and dun dubbing. Doesn't look bad and an easy tie. Much easier than first one.

vicrider- I look forward to fishing the kebari you described. Fur hackled flies have been very productive for me, and a sekasa sekasa kebari (is that what you'd call a reverse hackle fly tied backwards on the hook?)....that sounds very interesting, cant wait to see it.

Well, I have my sets done and I'll have them off tomorrow. The first one I tackled an unusual tie and think it worked fairly well except ended up with maybe a little too much thread loop rabbit fur used for hackle on some. Used stripped peacock for body and rabbit fur dubbing with a glass bead head. Also ran out of light olive fur so half are dark olive, dubbed thorax and thread body.

Did an accompanying tie that struck me as a good way to tie since Tenkara flies are backwards anyway. Mounted the hook in the vise by the eye and tied the fly backwards. Grizzly hackle and dun dubbing. Doesn't look bad and an easy tie. Much easier than first one.

Cool! I usually think of Quill Gordons when using stripped peacock. Ought to be a great looking fly. Thanks!

I threw the beaded bomber tie that didn't work out for me in there so you can see what the concept was. Guy who had the link to the recipe swore it was a killer for brookies, but then if you're the first one threw on any given day anything is a killer for brookies. Love'em but they are the dummies of the family. They are the only trout I've hooked, played, lost, watched it go right back to it's feeding lane and hooked again. Bass yes, pike yes, but only brookies in the trout family.