Fly Tying
jburge

Tenkara swap (any style, all are welcome)

They are the only trout I've hooked, played, lost, watched it go right back to it's feeding lane and hooked again. Bass yes, pike yes, but only brookies in the trout family.

Ha! And sometimes, it's the "not so bright" fish that take the skunk off the day.

It's my kind of day when you go to the mailbox and pick up another set of great looking flies. sniperfreak223's box arrived and you all are gonna really like 'em. Thanks!

And another great day at the mailbox. Not one, but two sets of flies arrived. (I should say two tiers and three sets.) Henrik Thomsen sent some gorgeous (and definitely fish-getting) flies, and vicrider sent not one, but two sets! These are really nice! Thanks you two.

I have a few questions:

- What would the cost of shipping be from your location to Ontario Canada? (PM me if you need more specifics)

- What general area would I be shipping to?

I assume you are based out of the U.S? I would be paying by paypal for postage as well if that is ok.

I was a member of the bluegill swap for about a year and a half when I had a bad experience (unrelated to swappers and the swap host). Canada post revalued the flies sent to me from $5, to $100+ and made the customs and duty fee around the $26 mark for me to get the flies...considering it was costing me $7-10 to ship the flies out, around the same to get them back, and then getting dinged with customs I stopped swapping and have yet to take part in one since. That being said I love Tenkara and Tenkara style flies...here are some kebari I tied up last weekend to stock the boxes:

post-45233-0-77249300-1391899035_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-75790300-1391899113_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-60440100-1391899189_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-77173300-1391899532_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-80870100-1391899279_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-73467300-1391899362_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-55179400-1391899441_thumb.jpg

Bassmouth, maybe you could pm Horseshoes. Sharon does a lot of swaps down here and she'd have the particulars on mailing and costs. I find it a little ridiculous to have to go thru what we do to just exchange a few flies but since we've gone to passport just to visit I suppose PO problems were to be expected.

BassMouth, sent you a PM.

I can tell you that typically shipping from my location (northern California) to Canada is under $8.00. I can't believe you got dinged with customs and duty fees. That's really unbelievable. Enough to stop anybody from swapping. Like vicrider said too, Horseshoes has done a lot of swaps across borders and has some great tips. And paying with PayPal has turned out to be a great option--they even calculate currency rates automatically.

Hope you can do it. Those are some mighty fine looking flies, and love the flyboxes--which look to be bamboo, right?

John

BassMouth, sent you a PM.

I can tell you that typically shipping from my location (northern California) to Canada is under $8.00. I can't believe you got dinged with customs and duty fees. That's really unbelievable. Enough to stop anybody from swapping. Like vicrider said too, Horseshoes has done a lot of swaps across borders and has some great tips. And paying with PayPal has turned out to be a great option--they even calculate currency rates automatically.

Hope you can do it. Those are some mighty fine looking flies, and love the flyboxes--which look to be bamboo, right?

John

In my last swap I was asked by a Canadian swapper to keep the $ value on the customs form to under $10.00 US to avoid having to pay the duty fee. Maybe Horseshoes or some other swappers from Canada can confirm this. Also make sure you check the "gift" box, not the "Merchandise" one, on the US Customs Form.

Iv sent and received hundreds if not thousands of packages and letters from the U.S over the years from other forums and hobbies...never really had any issues. Items under $60 I believe that are sent as gifts usually do not have to pay any customs or taxes, UNLESS they revalue it and call bullshit. I had been in the swap for over a year when this happened, and I think the thing that got me dinged was the declared value was at only a few dollars, I think a value of $15-20 seems more realistic and is more likely to get through. Getting a little close to the deadline but perhaps I will see what I can come up with and join this one...good excuse to see some other tekara flies people are tying.

Jburge: That box is a cheap wooden box I purchased off ebay from a seller in Japan, nothing fancy, think it cost me $15 all said and done. Few splits in the wood, cheapily made, but needed something with a little more flare then a regular fly box or altoids tin...just seemed right lol.

Edit: After looking closely maybe it is bambo..hmmm

Pending your approval Friday, I am tying the Amano Kebari.

Uhhh... I've seen your ties :-) Sounds like a great choice. Can't wait to see 'em!

Just picked up a great set of flies from fishingbob (while we enjoyed sushi at the same time). Thanks for the extras!

DavidHE, can't wait to see 'em.

Just picked up a great set of flies from fishingbob (while we enjoyed sushi at the same time). Thanks for the extras!

DavidHE, can't wait to see 'em.

Tell me you had some hot saki and I might just be a little peeved I didn't get an invite.lol