Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eisik

Pheasant Tail Complete tails

Hey folks!

First time poster, long time reader here. Hope i'm posting in the correct forum.

I went to a tackle shop here in Iceland yesterday looking to stock up on Pheasant tail feathers. Usually i just buy a single feather but the shop didn't have them in stock. They did however have a complete tail from Veniard. That suited me fine so on i went home.

Wen i sat down at my bench and opened the bag with the tail i noticed a smell. And a strong one at that. I don't know how to describe it, but it reminds me of a somekind of chemical.

So, my question.

Do i have to treat the Tail with something before i start using it? Wash it? Is this smell normal and is the chemical used biodegradable?

Here's a link to the product: http://www.veniard.com/product1978/section102/cock-pheasant-complete-tails

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Eiður

Cant help you with the specific chemical that will have been used. I can say that I try to avoid Vernairds stuff if at all possible as I have found the quality to be below expectations and or a smell around bucktails etc that other suppliers dont have. I have washed and shampooed my bucktails and fox hairs from them in the past, then blow dry and put some borax on the skin side and store in a dry place NOT in a plastic bag until I'm happy its all fully dry. Then back in my stock. The washing improves all shop brought furs and hairs and is something I do if I have time.

Thanks for the reply and advice Piker!

I get where you're coming from regarding Veniard. Unfortunatly they are by far the largest supplier of fly-tying goods here in Iceland so most of the time it's the only thing available.

I've sent them an email and asked them what gives with the smell.

eisik

Several years back I bought a couple of skins from Veiniards. They had obviously been treated with formalin to kill any bugs. The treatment worked- there were the dead bodies of several nasty-looking bugs hiding in the feathers. The smell remained strong for quite a while- maybe a year. But it did go away eventually. Formalin is not good for you- it irritates the skin and eyes and does worse to your lungs. But the amount we are talking about here is small- and most likely harmless.

Regardless of the supplier, occasionally you will need to wash and re-treat the skin. Stuff happens, and things get by quality control.

I'd wash the tail with a mild shampoo, blow it dry, and then check the skin side to make sure it's been well scraped of fatty tissue. Borax or salt the skin side to draw out any moisture. Don't store it in an air tight container until you are sure it's thoroughly dry.

...am I just repeating what Piker said?....

Hi Eiður,

Washing the feathers in warm, soapy water then rinsing several times is a good idea. Then hang the feather(s) to dry for several days (or more) in a protected place outside (like a garage or covered patio). Last, if any fibers are out-of-place hold the feather over a boiling, water tea kettle to finish "fixing" the feathers. Take care & ...

Thanks for the replies guys

What, in your eyes, constitutes a mild soap? Can i use normal dish-washing liquid? Or a shampoo like Head 'n Sholders?

I am a complete novice when it comes to washing feathers, but i am more than willing to learn :)

Thanks for the replies guys

What, in your eyes, constitutes a mild soap? Can i use normal dish-washing liquid? Or a shampoo like Head 'n Sholders?

I am a complete novice when it comes to washing feathers, but i am more than willing to learn smile.png

Dawn?

I can't speak specifically to your question, but I would suggest you consider ordering from Cookshill Fly Tying in the UK. Steve Cooper sells top quality materials at a fair price, and his shipping costs are also fair. I recently purchased a full English grouse skin from him at much cheaper than I could find anywhere else, and I also wanted to buy some plum-colored pheasant tail feathers from him. He hand-selected four of the longest, nicest looking pheasant tail feathers I have ever seen. The shipping was about $6 to the western United States, and I had my feathers in about a week, which is faster than some suppliers in the United States get my orders to me. There was no unpleasant smell and the feathers have been a pleasure to work with.

Here is a link:

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/herl.htm

Just scroll down to the pheasant tail feathers.

As Rolf suggested, Dawn dish washing liquid is a standby. Johnson's baby shampoo is another. I've had good results using Sargent's dog shampoo. I see no reason why Head'n'Shoulders wouldn't work, though. If that's what you have, give it a try.

Yep washing up liquids fine. Head and shoulders too but you don't need the pricey stuff. Any cheap own brand bottle will work lovely.