Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Must Read for Beginners

Beginners often post their first flies for our critiques. Invariably, a major problem is the proportion of the fly = the amount of and length of materials and where they are placed on hook to form a fly where the individual parts have the correct relationship to each other.

Here is a must read article by Charlie Craven on dry fly and nymph proportions.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2013/12/13/tying-flies-beautiful-flies/

Here's a related article on tying hair wings.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2014/01/30/mounting-hair-wings/

I suggest saving these articles as PDFs that you can refer to as needed. FF often takes done the articles after they have been up for a while. The above URLS may not work in a few months.

I appreciated the article, I can definitely use the advice. I do have one question that doesn't really pertain to FTF. You mentioned saving this as a PDF, how do you do that from an internet page?

I have an iMac and I can go to my print command and there is an option to save as a PDF document instead of printing the page.

Alternatively, you can select the portion of the page/pages you want and copy it to a clipboard and then to a text document. If the copy command does not copy the photos/illustrations, I have a shortcut command on my iMac by holding down the (Command/Shift/4) keys, I can cut any part of my desktop as a jpeg file that I can place into the correct place in the text document to recreate the document. Then I save that as the appropriate name.

Here are other methods:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20111396-285/five-ways-to-save-a-web-page/

Eric ... there used to be a program for free, called BullZip, that would "print" anything to PDF. When you go to print, one of the printers is "BullZip". I am assuming there are other programs that will do the same.

Or you can get the Adobe program, which is MUCH more than the Adobe reader that comes with a lot of computers.

As Silver stated, you can use the "function" key and/or the "PrintScreen" (some print screens are not "function" key necessary).

That will save the screen you see as a Jpeg. You can then open the MSPaint screen, hit paste, cut to the section you want to keep and save it.

no need to print screen but if that works for you go with it.

print screen only captures whats on the screen

Both of those articles are super helpful for picking up some great tying tips.

Also, when you want to save articles like that, and you're a total tech geek like I am, I suggest Evernote. You can use the Evernote web clipper to save a streamlined version of the article and then print it or make it accessible across your computer, phone, tablet, etc, with your Evernote account.