Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HPR

Thread

I have been given lots of sewing thread. Can it be used to tie flies? From the labels on the ends.

Mercerizi cotton covered polyester - x fine, x strong

Invisible thread - very fine, will melt with hot iron.

Polyester

Cotton glaze finish

Mercerized cotton supper sheen

Mercerized sewing

Mormlycke spun syntet

Bee waxed mercerized cotton

Bee waxed poly bond

Boilfast mercerized

Yes, it can be used to tie flies. Anything can be. But you may find that threads actually designed for fly tying (Danville, Uni, UTC, Griffith, Benecchi, Veevus and others) may work better and add to your enjoyment of the hobby.

Depends on what you are tying, HPR. I tie for panfish and bass, and I have never used anything else except for deer hair. Sewing thread works just fine, but I can see where it might be too thick for smaller flies.

Might want to listen to some of Tom Rosenbauer's recent podcasts. For the month of February he focused on fly tying and in one of them talked about different types of threads, including sewing thread. If I remember right he said sewing threads tend to be weaker than fly tying threads. If you can find info on the threads you could compare them to info on fly tying thread.

Absolutely! When I began tying it's all I used. Back then, there was no such thing as "fly tying" thread as far as I know.

Sewing thread is generally big and weak, especially cotton. Back when, they used silk, which is smaller in diameter for its strength than other natural materials, but compared to today's nylon, it's like a hawser. Another thing about sewing thread is that the spools are generally too big to fit in a bobbin holder.

Fly tying thread is pretty cheap, and unless you're trying to make a make-do statement, it's a wise investment.

Sewing thread is generally big and weak, especially cotton. Back when, they used silk, which is smaller in diameter for its strength than other natural materials, but compared to today's nylon, it's like a hawser. Another thing about sewing thread is that the spools are generally too big to fit in a bobbin holder.

Fly tying thread is pretty cheap, and unless you're trying to make a make-do statement, it's a wise investment.

True as any words which have ever been written here.

For most of us, it is 2014... Fly tying thread, which is optimized for tying flies (of all things...) is among the least expensive of our materials. Most of it is constructed quite differently than sewing thread. I have a sewing machine which I use all the time to make things like ammo pouches, rod bags, utility straps, patch up tears and holes in fabric gear, all kinds of stuff. Sewing thread is good for sewing, and fly tying thread is good for tying flies....

Of course you CAN tie flies with sewing thread. Just because a thing is possible, does not mean it is desirable. (sorry Mike)

I guess that makes me a "Thread Snob"...

BTW what you listed as "Invisible Thread" actually is the same stuff as Monofilament tying thread, some folks have some uses for that in the tying world.

HPR, as long as you have them you might as well try them and see how they work for you. I agree with the folks above who noted that fly tying thread is a cheap material and is specialized for its use. The same for sewing thread. Just for your own information, you can vice a long shanked hook and tie on some materials with the sewing thread and the same material with fly tying thread and directly compare how each performs.

Steve

post-52320-0-78514500-1394465350_thumb.jpg

Many midge patterns, especially larva and pupa, consist of a thread body and a bit of feather or floss for the head. I have seen tiers use sewing thread for midges. Coats and Clark makes a line of sewing thread on spools that fit the typical fly tying bobbin, and I use C&C thread for midge bodies. I wrap a base layer with the thread laying flat, then spin the bobbin clockwise to tighten it into a fine cord. Wrap the spun thread forward with touching turns. The sewing thread leaves a subtle segmentation, so wrapping with a rib is optional.

I still use. an old brand of silk sewing thread " NYMO" Don't believe its still available. I use numerous sewing threads for midge bodies as mentioned above and Coats & Clark Machine Embroidery thread for its bright colors on larger streamer type patterns and larger thread bodies. That's what our imaginations are for; that is if you haven't watched to much television, in which case its dead.