Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Foil & Fur

Still a couple of weeks to go I think. I got out of the house today, one of my friends sprung me for a day of fun at the races, however, I still can't stand very long before I grab a chair. Today we pulled up to the fence at the 60' mark and put to big boy chairs in the back of his truck, cooler of cold soda, and a bag full of fat boy snacks… We were living large, lots of smoke, noise and 1/8 mile fun.

I used to love to go to the strip. The bracket racing turned me off. Gassers, modified stocks, superstocks. and comps were the nutz. I miss the Stone, Woods, and Cook coupes, Wild Willie Borsch sleeping in the staging lane, and many others. Don't forget Bill 'Golden' Maverick. Much of the good Ole days really wasn't but those were the real drag racing IMHO.

Awesome stuff Dave, those things are unique for sure. Hopefully you can get out there soon, the next two months can be pretty awesome. The trout will tear those things up

I used to love to go to the strip. The bracket racing turned me off. Gassers, modified stocks, superstocks. and comps were the nutz. I miss the Stone, Woods, and Cook coupes, Wild Willie Borsch sleeping in the staging lane, and many others. Don't forget Bill 'Golden' Maverick. Much of the good Ole days really wasn't but those were the real drag racing IMHO.

Funny you should say that, Tom and I were discussing that same thing yesterday. We both believe the golden age of drag racing was the 60's and 70's, there was a Vega wagon running yesterday that spawned a whole bit on Grumpy Jenkins. The personalities and the cars seemed bigger than life and the pure race engineering with no computers and the abundance of blue collar low dough teams racing heads up. Yesterday we saw more than one racer break out running under their index…since when the first car across the line loose? BUT…We saw some wicked wheel stands, smelled race gas and rubber. We got our fix.

Awesome stuff Dave, those things are unique for sure. Hopefully you can get out there soon, the next two months can be pretty awesome. The trout will tear those things up

Good looking stuff Dave, are you doing duplicates or are these just test patterns?

Thanks guys, counting the days. The flies were tied to fill a couple of gaps in my box. All the shrimp patterns with the exception of the peterson spawning shrimp have been regulars in my box for a while, I just tinker with them from time to time. I've got about 3-10 of each tied for the summer, will backfill as needed.

The Hollow Ghost is one I've never tried before, found it while doing some random surfing. It reminds me of a similar pattern tied by Drone Lee, I like the appearance of bulk with very little material. The fly is supposed to be extremely translucent in the water, I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot.

I made a white Holo-Ghost last night. It is a VERY cool pattern. It looks a lot like a Fluke Jerk Bait. I cast it a pond behind Target on Back Beach Rd. It got bit in the little retention pond. Short Strike. But it got bit none the less.

I made a white Holo-Ghost last night. It is a VERY cool pattern. It looks a lot like a Fluke Jerk Bait. I cast it a pond behind Target on Back Beach Rd. It got bit in the little retention pond. Short Strike. But it got bit none the less.

I've been wondering how it behaves in the water. I'm excited to see how it does on saltwater. I tied some wire towards the back of the fly to see if I can get some side to side motion with it.