Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adventure568

Sculpin helmets

What are your thoughts on sculpin helmets? I personally love them. Also, what are some good patterns that use the sculpin helmet? I've made like 7 sculpin bunnies and it's getting old lol. I wanna hear what you guys think

They are good for sculpin patterns but as you say, difficult to tie something else due to the head shape.

Problem I find is that it weights the fly to much. I would much rather weight the fly just enough to roll it hook point up then weight the line so as to make the fly settle more gently on the bottom. This is accomplished by simply adding a bullet weight to my tippet and pegging it with a toothpick.

Steve

I use them to tie saltwater flies in a fashion similar to skimmer jigs. The flies coast down to the grass or sand holes nicely with the sculpin heads. Use them on any baitfish pattern and see what happens. In fly tying, you are only limited by your imagination

post-18514-0-44012400-1397136472_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bill. It is palmered marabou in rust (you can also use ginger), a top wing of Senyo's Laser dub in brown tied in like wool (tied in at the center then folded over itself and spread around the shank), and then the sculpin head. I have also used Finn Raccoon in cinnamon color in place of the Laser Dub. You could even add a tail if you want a longer fly, like maybe some longer brown grizzly hackles.