Fly Tying

Thanks Vicrider. Sent the address to you by private message.

I should get mine out tomorrow. I cheated a little and went down and caught a fresh hen in the local pond and milked her. Treated her eggs with Borax and salted them down and they should hold up fine in shipping as long as it doesn't get too hot. Once you get them out of wraps you can put them in a jar with Borax and they should be fine for fishing without too much smell. I would have preferred a king salmon's eggs but the steelhead spawn will work as long you stick with a 16 or 18 hook and just nip the egg in the side.

Did I getcha?

Haha nice try vicrider. April fools was a while back.

Just so ya' know, 40 years ago my fingers were sticky from tying spawn bags in the spring. Slowly we came to realize a yarn egg or a couple clashing pieces of yarn tucked under a snelled hook (we snelled them) with a rubber egg would catch just as many and you didn't have to get all sticky. I'm sure there's still a lot of spawn being used today. We'd treat tight skein salmon spawn to make it almost rubbery and use hunks of it to fish rainbows feeding behind the spawning Salmon in Michigan. Things have changed a lot today because back then we killed most of what we caught and smoked it, baked it, fried it, pickled it, fondued it, microwaved it, and had almost as many recipes as Bubba in Forrest Gump had for shrimp.

Bruce Derrington, your flies arrived today. They are excellent!

Tim

Well Bruce, I see yours got rave reviews as usual and mine fall into the "chopped liver" category again.sad.png

Sorry Vicrider, got busy. Yours arrived and are eggcellent!

So let's move our egg thread back up above the spammers since it's still a live and active swap going on.