Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stilljerkin

Left/ right handed vices???

What makes them left right handed on rotating vices they turn both ways. Is it how you tighten the hook up on the renzetti????

There are a couple of things on a Renzetti vise that make it right/left oriented. The rotation handle can be used as a ratchet, which is directional, although I prefer mine tightened to a point where I can rotate in either direction. Also, the hook gap adjustment is right/left oriented. I guess you could make adjustments from the far side but why would you want to? This adjustment is easy and intuitive and is a great feature. Last but by far not least, it costs a fortune to convert from one hand to the other.

The hook adjustment screw when on the far side of the jaws is only a slight inconvenience and does not degrade the function of the vise.

The rotating handle on the renzetti traveler is not a ratcheting handle. It does not work like a ratchet wrench does. Loosened it can be used in either direction.

The renzetti traveler is the same price whether right or left handed. See feather craft website.

FWIW, I think Renzetti makes good vises, but the racheting handle is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on a vise. I know it can be locked down, but it's just dumb in my opinion. Can anyone enlighten me as to why it's needed?

Possible reasons for its existence...

For people without enough strength to make the handle rotate all the way around need to rachet it...

For people who forget which way they should rotate the vise to tie rotary style...

seriously...

For people who want to take a quick series of photos ... side, bottom and top of the fly?

The hook adjustment screw when on the far side of the jaws is only a slight inconvenience and does not degrade the function of the vise.

I agree with this opinion, provided we're speaking of the cam actuated jaw. The Jvice actually has the adjustment screw on the far side of the jaws intentionally, and it's not awkward.

On many vises, it's not difficult for the user to make some simple adjustments to convert from RH->LH use. For instance, it's my understanding that the ratchet on some Renzetti models functions via a one-way bearing that may be flipped by the user.

Some vises do really need to be purchased RH or LH for best usability. For instance, a LAW tightens via a knob which you'd want on the near side. Or a Jvice base is built RH/LH specific.

Ok guys thank you that was lots of help I was buying a vice this morning when I got out of work and I was wondering if it would make a difference and the vice I bought was left or right handed so it all worked out and I love the vice so far