Fly Tying
BlueEyedSon

Interested in Starting Out

Just read Utyer's comments and concur with his remarks on material. We've had several threads that discussed the topic. I'd like to see a separate forum for discussions about home-made tools and alternative materials. Maybe rename "Timely Tips" as it apparently hasn't been posted in for eons.

I've found that sewing shops and craft stores are full of materials that will make you drool. I've experimented with some of them, and keeping in mind that I'm mostly tying for bluegills, just about everything works. Your eyes will bug out when you see all the amazing and iridescent colors of floss in JoAnn's Fabrics. I just tell everyone to avoid cotton, as it will rot. I found a web page somewhere on the ability of various thread materials to survive wetting. Maybe I can find it again.

Also I had been talking in another thread about craft foam. The nice folks at Crafts for Less.com sent me a sample of their 2mm evasote. I went to a tackle shop and found a package (fortunately zip-lock) of three little 3"x4" sheets for $3.99. At CFL, you can get a pack of ten 9"x12" sheets of evasote foam, assorted colors, for $4. And the sample turned out to be the exact same stuff as the fly shop stuff.

other than the $3 difference in price between the cabelas vs bass pro shop vise, what other differences are there between the same vises?

i have some pretty old t-shirts made of 100% cotton and not of them have rotted away after hundreds of washing's.

why haven't they rotted away?

how long does it take to rot? days? weeks? months? years?......

I guess if folks don't use their flies too long before discarding/losing them, it wouldn't matter. I am still able to use bugs that I tied 20 years ago. I've had spools of cotton thread that I kept that long, and I guarantee I wouldn't want to use it for any purpose that needed durability. It becomes brittle, and if wetted and not dried (I assume one dries their t-shirts), it comes to pieces (if the silverfish haven't already eaten it). I've seen some really nice old flies posted on here that were works of art that some old tyer was proud of, and I like to make things that will last. Who knows, if I tie one pretty enough, maybe some day years from now, someone will post one of my antique creations.

By the way, the Craft for less site has different multi-sheet packs than what I referred to above. I could've sworn I saw more multi-packs than what are now on their foam page. I'll ask them about it.

P.S. the also have 6mm sheets, but apparently not in multipacks.

Cotton will rot in a few days, if left wet. Take one of those old t-shirts and ball it up while wet. Bind it tightly (like the threads on a fly) and put it aside for a week. It'll shred when you open it up.

But, of course, the size of a fly will allow it to dry out relatively quickly, so cotton thread should be fine for fly tying.

But polyester thread doesn't have any issues like that.

While polyester sewing thread can be used on larger flies, it present several problems when tying the small flies commonly used for trout fishing. Most sewing threads are made of 2 or 3 strands which are twisted together. They are several times thicker than fly tying thread, and they are also textured (fuzzed up,) to help them grip the fabrics. The build up of unwanted bulk will become a problem.

Many beginners tend to tie things in with too many wraps as it is, so using sewing thread, will add a lot of unnecessary bulk in the flies.

There ARE threads made for the sewing industry that will work better, but only one is generally sold in craft stores. Gutermann makes a thread that I use quite a bit called "Bulky Nylon." As the name implies, it is rather thick, but it is NOT twisted, and will lay flat. In the hands of a more experienced tier, it can be wound on the hook in very thin layers, and will make nice smooth bodies on chironomid fly patterns. This thread is very much like UNI stretch, and can be found in craft stores with good sewing departments like Joann's.

The other threads are also from Gutermann, but about the only way to get these is to order them directly from the importers. Oshman Brothers Threads will sell to any one, but they have a $25.00 minimum order. To further add to your confusion, the textile industry has a different system of measuring thread weight. They use a TEX number not a denier size. Conversion is simple. multiply TEX numbers by 9 and you will get an approximation of the denier. You would want a TEX size of 30 or less to be usable.

Their threads are sold in 5000 to 21000 yards. There are three threads in the SKALA group that are fine enough to be used for tying. the Skala 360 comes in both a 5400 and a 22000 yard spool. The TEX number is 8, so the denier works out to 72, and the Skala 240 has a TEX number of 12 or a denier of 108. In 5400 yard spools they are $7.50, and $9.50 respectively. You can get several colors for the minimum purchase.

Of course, all these threads come on non standard size spools, so re-spooling would be necessary before you can use them. I have been re-spooling all my thread (even conventional tying thread,) for many years, and it isn't that difficult. When you do the math, these Skala threads work out to be about 55 cents or less per hundred yards.

Standard disclaimer: I have no connection to Oshman Brothers, Gutermann Threads or Joann Fabrics. I have not used any of these threads, but If I ever get rid of the 20000 yards of thread I already have, I plan to.

Someone on here was talking about using silk last week. I looked it up and found that silk is comparatively durable. I had been buying rayon floss, and it was OK but not as good as silk. In a sewing store, most of the embroidery floss is cotton, but they do have nylon and rayon if you look for them. Also have rayon thread. Problem is the rayon thread comes on foam "spools" that are about 3 inches long and won't fit a fly bobbin. So I used our sewing machine to transfer it onto sewing machine bobbins, which a fly bobbin will work with. Got a separate bobbin so it is set for the narrower spool.

If you are looking for smaller spools to transfer thread to, go to a dollar store. You can buy small spools of thread ... pull off the thread if you don't want to use it. Sometimes, there are sets, with 4 to 10 colors, for a buck or two.

Oh, don't get the sewing kits, with the really small spools.

Problem is, a sewing machine will only put thread from its original spool onto a sewing machine bobbin. They're generally about 1 inch diameter, and 3/8 or so wide. I'm trying to attach my first picture here so cross your fenders.

I got a separate fly bobbin, and left the two hubs close together so they would handle the narrower bobbin/spool with the desired tension.

post-52210-0-97651000-1403398957_thumb.jpg

Griffin makes Midge bobbins that will fit those spools just right. I have two, and about 36 sewing machine bobbins that I loaded thread onto years ago for a travel kit. Still haven't used up all the thread I loaded onto those little spools. I still have a travel kit with the bobbins, 12 spools, other tools, and materials.

I know....they hold over 100 yards of thread! And the rayon thread is real fine, so it's probably much more. I got a little kit of tools from Cabelas and the bobbin in it holds them perfectly with just the right tension. I got this rayon floss and thread because it comes in really bright colors, and I wanted to experiment with building up shiny bodies, then coating with epoxy.

Um ... I use my sewing machine to spool thread from large spools onto small spools.

Most sewing machines have an auto-shut off when the bobbin is full. I did have to remove that to fit regular small spools on there, but it works fine now.

Are you suggesting that I take my wife's sewing machine apart????? You must be smoking the seaweed!

I am tolerated to use the coffee grinder to manufacture dubbing.

Within reason, I may raid my wife's knitting stores for dubbing supply.

I must leave the pets alone.

Roadkill is not permitted in the house.

If I touch the sewing machine with malevolent intent, to dismantle it in any way, I am a dead man. (there is a history of me and mechanical/electrical things operating here ...)