Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RCFetter

Mustad, Egg, Caddis Hook Question

Over the weekend I was in a fly shop and bought what I thought were Mustad nymph hooks, but today I noticed they are:

Mustad CO68 size 12, egg, caddis, offset.

It's not a big deal. They were $4.25 for 12 hooks but I can't find out what these hooks are used for. I mean I've been googling for 20 minutes and can't find anything on them.

I know what an egg pattern is but why is caddis also listed. Can egg hooks be used also for a dry caddis?

Eggs

Caddis larva

Chromomids

Scuds

Now Google each one of the above for patterns

Be creative! Experiment!

Can egg hooks be used also for a dry caddis?

No

If you read the description of those hooks you bought they are 2 extra heavy and wouldn't be good for dries

Mustad CO68 Signature fly tying hooks are commonly used to tie caddis and egg fly patterns. The CO68 fly hook has a curved shank, offset bend, bronzed finish, 2 extra heavy wire and 2 extra short shank. All of the Mustad Signature fly tying hooks are designed with consistent hook gap, bend, wire diameter and shank length for precise scaling and feature a chemically sharpened needle point with microbarb

If you tie up a foam body caddis, you could probably used any hook you want. The heavy hook would be for the crawlers and burrowers.

I use curved caddis hooks for a variety of nymphs and wet patterns that don't actually call for a curved hook. I like the looks of them on a curved hook. I've tied lots of soft hackle patterns on them, and they have all caught fish. Like flytire says - experiment, play around with them. Just because a pattern calls for a specific hook doesn't mean you have to use that exact hook; if that were the case, we'd all be poor from buying hooks.

Thanks guys. caddis larva never occurred to me.

Would those hooks be good for a greenie weenie?

You can use whatever hook you like for any pattern. Deciding if a hook is appropriate is where the skill comes in. The original hook for the Klinkhamer was described as a nymph / pupa / caddis hook. The descriptions given on the packet usually just serve to limit the fly tiers creativity.

Those hooks sound as if they may be too heavy for a standard dry caddis. Fortunately you have only bought a dozen. Experiment with them, you'll come up with something.

Cheers,

C.

$4.25 for 12 hooks? Holy crap. Where did you buy them?

Wow that is expensive...lol.. an my bad. Size 12 - pack of 25 hooks but still expensive. I usually buy Orvis hooks when I get a $25 off $50 purchase coupon. That equates to $6 for 50 hooks.

You can use whatever hook you like for any pattern. Deciding if a hook is appropriate is where the skill comes in. The original hook for the Klinkhamer was described as a nymph / pupa / caddis hook. The descriptions given on the packet usually just serve to limit the fly tiers creativity.

Those hooks sound as if they may be too heavy for a standard dry caddis. Fortunately you have only bought a dozen. Experiment with them, you'll come up with something.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for the advise. I agree but as a beginner (just started tying in March) I'm hesitant to be too creative. But I'm getting there with the help of this forum.