Fly Tying

Pattern continues to work on local ponds! Quick to tie, and ready to fish as soon as done tying having shifted to UV Glue! No more delay waiting for head cement to dry!

One to keep handy for early morning and late evening for Bluegill! Here is the fishing fly that we based the Foam Grasshopper on... the Betts Bream Getter. But, this one comes from a kit we picked up from Feather Craft called the Foam Spider Fly Tying Kit made by Wapsi. Looks just like the Bream Getter! Foam Spider aka Bream Getter.

Fly Fishing the Local Pond #foamgrasshopper Fished the local pond for Bass in hope of catching a fish or two with a new pattern modified from two variants of the BOB Fly or Bass On Bed Fly. Test was thrown a curve... bass were cruising the shallows instead of on their beds. Good thing the Foam Grasshopper was in the fly box! See more on our YouTube Channel - COAF FIELD TEAM - 2020 Pond Fishing Videos.

spacer.png

Bass Eating a Dragon Fly #bassfishing #flyfishing Short video of a quick trip to the local pond. Not been to this one in awhile but good to see there are bass to be caught and released! A catch and release pond that holds bass and bluegill. Was a fun time; have more video to post but wanted to get this one out.... bass jumped a lot higher than the video shows but can clearly see it came out of the water completely!

Fishing a Foam Grasshopper for Bass! #flyfishing #bassfishing
Follow-up video of the trip where we saw bass eating a dragonfly, jumping clear out of the water! Started out trying to catch Bass using the No Name Fly. Bass were cruising the shallows like the other day. Went to the Foam Grasshopper tied using a foam cutter that forms a Chernobyl Ant body. Used a Size 4 hook to provide increased hook setting rates. Worked on Bass and Bluegill!

Tying the Foam Grasshopper - Beavertail Variant #flyfishing

Here is a video on tying the Foam Grasshopper normally tied on a size 8 or 10 streamer hook. Mixed things up and tied the pattern on a size 4 hook and used a Beavertail foam cutter to make the body. So far, has worked on Bass and Bluegill at our local pond! Do try tying this simple but effective pattern on Bass in your area!

...size 4 Foam Grasshopper and caught a Bass, then was a little slow while I worked others spots. Ended with some nice sized Sunfish.  Water was clear, polarized glasses made a difference... could see the fish reacting to the fly and their strikes! Fun stuff!

You need to hold the fish up to the camera just a little longer, for the viewer (me) to get a good look!

I believe those are Green Sunfish.  Bigger mouths than most other panfish, bright blue spots and squiggles on the cheeks.  Couple of nice sized ones, too.  Good day!

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

You need to hold the fish up to the camera just a little longer, for the viewer (me) to get a good look!

I believe those are Green Sunfish.  Bigger mouths than most other panfish, bright blue spots and squiggles on the cheeks.  Couple of nice sized ones, too.  Good day!

Will keep in mind next trip... went back again this morning. Don't think I held them up too long. Fish were smaller than yesterday but did downsize to a size 8.  Still lots of fun!