Fly Tying
Jordon W

Need advice on hiking backpack

I will be traveling to CO in a few weeks, looking for a decent bag that I could use to do an over night hiking trip, or a day pack that I could use to haul waders, wading boots, flies, rods, camera, reels, some food, and maybe my hammock. Looking to stay under $100 if possible. My thought is to get a pack in the 30l-40l size so If I want I could use for a weekend hiking trip as well. Any thoughts would be great!

Check out REI Brand. They have good deals sometimes and there gear is good. You will most likely need a pack between 45L to 60L depending on gear that you want to carry and price.

Being an ex-military guy ... I am still partial to the military back pack. Check out your local surplus store.

It's hard to find a good pack under 100$- but REI or ll bean might be a good bet. Camelbak and osprey make awesome packs, but are well over 100$.

Not sure where $100 takes you but over here £100 will find lots of great gear from berghaus, karamor or northface. Side pockets tend not to be waterproof but there's always gear you don't need to be waterproof like mess tins and having used a bag with no external pouches id always have them for future bags.

I looked at REI page today and saw they were selling there 45L flash pack in your price range. I have 30L flash and it is great for back country fishing. The large mesh pockets on the outside hold wet waders and boots so they can dry for the hike down. 45L would be prefect for an over night.

I think you're ok on the capacity. I use a North Face Hot Shot pack (25L?) that I've had for years, don't think they make that one anymore.. It's plenty big enough for me for a weeklong trek, but I don't use a tent anymore, just a light 8x10 tarp (1 lb.), and an alcohol stove to save weight. For a week, my pack weight is about 25 lbs (including food). I always take a water filter so I don't have to carry water. North Face and REI both have a good line of daypacks. But remember, you usually get what you pay for.

The problem with big capacity packs is you end up feeling you have to fill them. More stuff = more weight = no fun. I always thought the idea is to enjoy yourself, not beat yourself to death.

If you're not familiar with the term "torso length" and its ramifications on backpack fit, Google the term and word up! A pack that fits you properly is your friend. A pack that doesn't....

Tight lines,

Bob

LL Bean because they guarantee forever. I had a back pack and I called to get it repaired after 15 years because it had sentimental value. They refused to repair it, let me keep the old one, sent a new pack and a gift card. I was blown away by the customer service. I look at them first now.

You really need to decide what you want to do. A day pack is good for traveling light, carrying a few boxes of flies, lunch, rain jacket water and maybe a few other things. If you are camping then your needs are different. Also, you don't want to schlep waders and boots up and down mountains, especially if you are at altitude and not used to it.

Steve

I echo REI flash. REI has great equipment and costs are more than reasonable; definitely check out their outlet.

That said, under $100 is a challenge. Difficult, but not impossible ...

I don't do surplus anymore, my vet years are light years behind me, but I still have my ruck. I have an 80l REI pack (week + trips) and a 60l Osprey (used most often for backpacks), and smaller REI daypack (grr can't remember name) that does yeoman's service - all hiking, camping. For fishing, if I'm going to backpack the gear, I pretty much fill the Osprey, with wading boots hanging off the back (you can find good lightweight shoes that will double as waders for backpack purposes, but I carry my standard wading shoes (that = weight!). I also always wet-wade when backpack fishing, I never carry waders).

I don't do much fishing backpacking anymore though, took up kayaking and it seems to have trumped for the moment.

Still, check the surplus stores. Though my ruck is not a particularly comfortable fit, it is designed for weight and volume and would more than meet the task, and I imagine surplus outlets would offer them at great savings. On that note I would urge caution (because I'm not up to date on surplus pricing or the industry) - I would pay for actual, real "surplus" - I would not pay more than $50 for a rucksack so I could feel like Rambo in the woods. The other factor is that comfort thing, if I were on a tight budget I'd look at it, but the comfort sacrificed (IMHO) keeps the acceptable price tag LOW. I want to be able to save my money for a better pack at a future time.

The difference in my opinion between the ruck and REI's flash is sturdiness. Flash is a great pack but intended to be lightweight. If your gear is a little heavy that pack may feel the pull, and the ruck as I said, was made for weight.

Well I found a simms dry creek chest pack and headwater full day pack combo for under $100 on ebay that I bought this afternoon. Then as I was placing an order on Cabelas for some essentials for the trip I decided to check out their packs and found their ridgeline 50L hiker on sale for $49.99 online only special!