Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

It could pass as a close, but it was a variation of the Ultra Shrimp the Bob Popovics made to his fly. It is surprising very simple to tie, as are most of his flies. The key to all of the Ultra Shrimps is the amount of Super Hair you use and forcing yourself to use less resin.

Brad

Nice work, thanks for sharing. I watched a video you are right it looks easy to tie.

fshng2 (I too post on SOL)

Well the sliders are working with the increasing grass. Sadly however I lost the brown grizzly one last week to a very fat trout right off the bat. My 15lb flouro tippet wasn't up to the task, back to 20lb. Went out this morning and blind casting some murky water got a nice 24" trout that swallowed it and a little later a 19". After the sun got a bit higher I moved down some and found cleaner water and as soon as a cloud moved I spotted a nice one coming right at me 30 feet out. I barely got a side arm flip and a few twitches she grabbed it. My biggest yet 28" and fat plus she was barely hooked making for an easy release.

post-44758-0-10943600-1435716299_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-68025100-1435716320_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-64224700-1435716341_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-76592100-1435716536_thumb.jpg

I am a C and R kinda fella. but that would make a great dinner tonight and I would have to rethink the release portion. Yummy.........

Wow! Those are great catches and great pictures,Saltybum ! I remember many day of such catches before the hurricanes of 2004 rebuilt Hutchinson Island and the Indian River Lagoon. Wish I could be out there again!

Thanks for the complements. Yes those larger trout grill nicely and Florida law only allows you to keep four and only one over 20". Most of the trout on the flats are larger because ospreys will get the smaller fish.

Nice Gator! I lived in Melbourne for a long time, there are a surprising number of 20"+ fish over there. 28" is a really good fish regardless of that.

I know more of you guys are tying out there. Post up your work. We would like to see it.

This is the craft fur shrimp that I caught a lot of specks on while staying in NSB and fishing the ML. Size 6 versions were taken deep in the gills so I went to a size 2 and the problem went away. The bottom fly is the fly of note

post-32717-0-81214300-1436274989_thumb.jpg

Shrimp are one of my favorite flies to fish. But I'm still on a deer hair slider kick. Here's one way off the norm for me as far as colors go. Tied on a 1/0 Owner Mosquito hook.

I will post the results if somebody grabs it.

post-44758-0-53285300-1438642407_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-65672700-1438642536_thumb.jpg

Fisherboy did you catch any fish on that shrimp?

My last one above has not seen much action yet...however snook season opens next week and it looks like the mullet run may start early on the east coast of Florida so I tied a few mullet up for the surf. Gonna get out some bigger hooks and try to tie a couple jumbos this week. May end up just wasting a bunch of synthetic.

Question for fishng2. I went back and looked at some of your baitfish ties that look really nice with the deer hair and my question is what size hooks are you tying on? Maybe do us an SBS of those? Thanks

post-44758-0-02290200-1440371787_thumb.jpg