Fly Tying

While I use a Non-slip Mono Loop for tying most of my flies to tippet, I do use the Improved Cinch knot for when I want direct connection. Recently I heard about this Davy Knot being 100%, anyone been using this knot?

Kirk

Maybe but the knot was by Davy Wotton. Fish can go for a nautical mile without the knot popping, you just have to have the means to follow.

I have been using the Davy and Double Davy knots for a couple of years now. Easy to tie, and they do work well.

After doing a little reading and tying a few, it looks like it would be ideal for the very light tippets used by trout fishermen. For heavier saltwater rigs, I suspect it might be a solution looking for a problem. There are already plenty of foolproof knots for salt water.

Cool Utyer.

PJ, I'm always leary when a knot name is preceeded by "Double"..., which is what they suggest for the heavier tippets.

I think someone recently started thread on this on a UK salmon forum and not a lot of fans using fluro. Very mixed responses to mono. Stick to knots you know unless you have an issue. All the talk of knot strength I've yet to lose a fish at the knots. Normally its abrasion or my mistake being to aggressive on a light set up.

For direct connections I always use uni-knots whether it's flies, jigs, plugs, etc. I have never had one break, and trust me I have put them to the test. Sadly, I don't mean on the numerous monster fish I catch, but when I'm hooked to a tree, a pole, or an abandoned crab trap, I pull like craze and the knot never breaks but the leader does

I have to go along with Piker - most of us have gone through enough trial and error to know what works in our situations and what doesn't. I'm pretty happy with Biminis and non-slip loops. Like Andy, I figure if the leader breaks while the knot holds, I'm doing something right.

Here is a great video on the Davy Knot.

I have been using the Davy and Improved Davy for several years and absolutely love it. I have caught 25" carp, 19" smallmouth, sea trout and red fish while using the Davy. However, contrary to the video I have occasionally experienced slippage when using line sizes under 5X. That's when I go the the Improved Davy.

Just recently I saw the above video and started insuring the tag end is perpendicular to the line. So far I have had no problems. I had never heard of the Double Davy until I saw the video. I'll give it a try.

The Improved Davy differs from the Double Davy in that the last turn is done on the lower part (making 2 in a row) rather than on the upper as shown in the video for the Double Davy.

The Davy is very small, extremely fast to tie, has very little waste and excellent knot strength.

BTW, always take claimed 100% knot strength for ANY knot with a grain of salt. The knot strength will vary with line material, whether it was tested dry or submerged, whether the knot was lubricated or not when tied, the size of the hook material, etc.

Here is a great video on the Davy Knot.

I have been using the Davy and Improved Davy for several years and absolutely love it. I have caught 25" carp, 19" smallmouth, sea trout and red fish while using the Davy. However, contrary to the video I have occasionally experienced slippage when using line sizes under 5X. That's when I go the the Improved Davy.

Just recently I saw the above video and started insuring the tag end is perpendicular to the line. So far I have had no problems. I had never heard of the Double Davy until I saw the video. I'll give it a try.

The Improved Davy differs from the Double Davy in that the last turn is done on the lower part (making 2 in a row) rather than on the upper as shown in the video for the Double Davy.

The Davy is very small, extremely fast to tie, has very little waste and excellent knot strength.

BTW, always take claimed 100% knot strength for ANY knot with a grain of salt. The knot strength will vary with line material, whether it was tested dry or submerged, whether the knot was lubricated or not when tied, the size of the hook material, etc.

I am not arguing, 100% is a bit over stated, usually. But, say you tie 100 Davy knots and test each one, using different lines and different conditions. On every test, the line breaks, never the knot. That would be a 100% knot strength.