Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Having trouble splitting microfibetts

I just watched Chris Helm's video about tying Comparaduns. Again I run into the same problem:

every time I spilt the microfibetts - I'm tying in about six of them and then bringing the thread up through the middle of the bunch - the fibetts end at different levels. (Some point up. Some point down.) And

so I'm wondering: will this cause my fly to tip over?

Thanks,

Randy

The problem you describe is inherent to the method. One solution is to use a thicker thread (works sometimes- especially on smaller flies.) Or use two threads- one on each side of the hook shank. Or you can use your thread much as you would with divided calf-tail wings- You just need to use fewer and more gentle wraps. Another way to deal with the problem is to divide your fibers a few mm from the end of the shank and then carefully wrap your thread back until the fibers settle into place.

You could also abandon Helm's method and tye in a few fibers on either side of the shank (with or without a small ball of thread or dubbing to help divide the fibers.) There are many ways to fix your problem. What it all comes down to is mastery of materials. Keep at it and you will find your own way.

Simple and elegant Hockley Tailing Method

Bud Hockley of Baltimore Maryland devised a method of tying spit or fan tails which is both elegant and simple . This method was described in the 1985 September issue (vol 16, issue 6) of Fly Fisherman Magazine, pg 36 by none other than John Betts, the originator of microfibbets.

HockleyTailingMethod.jpg

1. Tie an even number of Betts microfibbets or stiff hackle fibers in the usual manner and overwrap them with thread back to just before the start of the bend of the hook. Give yourself the room for two more wraps of thread before the bend starts.

2. Take a smooth dubbing needle and place it across the hook between the tails and the hook. Slide the needle toward the eye of the hook so that it lifts the tails off the hook. Now wrap two turns of thread around the dubbing needle and the hook as if you were going to tie the needle to the hook. This will slide the two turns of thread under the tail fibers. Gently pull the needle out as you tighten the thread, and guide the thread so that they lie around the hook, but under the tail fibers, and just in back of the thread wraps which tie the tail down.

3. Now take the dubbing needle and place it along side of the hook closest to you with the tip of the needle toward the eye of the hook. There should be a little space between the hook and needle to maneuver the needle. Now take the thread around the needle, and between the hook and the tails, as if you were going to tie the needle to the back of the hook. As you tighten the thread, gently remove the needle and guide the thread so that it comes to lie on top of the two wraps you place in step two. This wrap will further splay the tails from the back of the hook

4. Keep repeating step three to place multiple wraps of thread just at the base of the tails, between the tails and the hook, until the tails begin to fan and split. When you have built up the thread ball, use your fingers to even up and split the tails and elevate them if you want.

5. Now take the thread and take a couple of cross wraps around the tail to hold them in the final position.

There you have it. The Hockley method of split or fan tailing a fly without using a dubbing ball. BTW, Hockley uses it for stonefly nymphs as well as dry flies.

Thanks everyone.

I've tried the Hockley method but couldn't figure it out. (I coulln't find anything on Youtube.) I think for now, Craven's method is the wa to go.

It's the easiest.

Randy

Having tried several methods I always come back to the one shown to me by Marc Petitjean, which uses a separate length of floss or doubled thread, to split the tail fibres. To help explain it I have done a quick pencil sketch of it. It really is the easiest and neatest method I have come across. You can use a complementary colour of floss if you do not want it to show, or you can use it to make a highlight by using DFM Floss. I often do this on spinners, using green Glo Brite floss, and have found it very effective.

post-43582-0-93789800-1405085479_thumb.jpg

In the drawing I have shown just two tails. You can do a "triple split" by leaving the centre fibre(s) straight between the floss.

The way to get the floss in place is to grip it in both hands, and use the floss to lift the thread towards you a little. Then move your dominant hand away from you and the other towards you, so the floss is between hanging thread and hook bend. Fold the floss around the hook bend, taking hold of both end in your non dominant hand, and bring it up between the tail fibres. Tie the floss down to the top of the hook shank, with two or three bobbin weight turns. Pull the floss to split the tails wider.

If you would like to see it done here it is in this video.

Give it a try, I'm sure you'll be a convert.

Cheers,

C.

Having tried several methods I always come back to the one shown to me by Marc Petitjean, which uses a separate length of floss or doubled thread, to split the tail fibres. To help explain it I have done a quick pencil sketch of it. It really is the easiest and neatest method I have come across. You can use a complementary colour of floss if you do not want it to show, or you can use it to make a highlight by using DFM Floss. I often do this on spinners, using green Glo Brite floss, and have found it very effective.

Cheers,

C.

Basically Green or Yellow floss forms the egg sac and is a trigger that shows the fly is a female. Some think that some trout prefer female spinner because they have more nutrients. Whether they do or not, I agree with you that using a floss that simulates an egg sac is the one to use.

That's the idea Silver. I did an article on this for Fly Fishing and Fly Tying about 10 years ago. The first time I used them they out fished the same fly without the egg sack by about 10 rises to one.

Cheers,

C.

Craigaig,

That is truly a great video, not only about splitting tails, but just about everything else.

Flytier, also a great method, similar to the one in Craigaig's video. Interesting to see the slight

differences.

Folks, thanks so much,

Randy

Thanks Randy, One of the reasons I haven't done so many videos is that there is so much out there already. I don't see any point in covering ground that has been covered so many times before. If I don't think it will add to the knowledge out there already I don't publish it.

Have you tried doing the whip finish that way yet? Let me know how you get on. You will not be the first to end up cursing at me!

Cheers,

C.

excellent book for all kinds of techniques

63L6.jpg

+1 x1000! Couldn't agree more. This book belongs on any serious fly tier's shelf. Expensive but worth every penny. You can find used copies on Amazon sometimes at a substantial discount over new.

I bought it on CD for about 40 bucks.

Crackaig, I've done a parachute whip finish by taking the fly out of the vise, putting it back in

vertically, then using a tool.

I'll try to whip finish the way you showed. I used to know how to whip finish by hand, but I haven't done it it in quite awhile.

BTW, there's techniques in your video I haven't seen anywhere, which is why I bookmarked it.

Randy