Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Jack-of-all-Trades Swap

Recently I've been thinking about how many of the best and most enduring fly patterns are those don't look exactly like anything in particular, but look a little bit like a lot of different things. Consider the Adams--depending on the winging and/or hackling style, it can be made to pass as a great many adult aquatic insects. Perhaps the greatest jack-of-all-trades is the venerable woolly bugger--wet fly, streamer, or nymph as you please--you can even fish it dry if it's not weighted.

So here's the idea: let's see your version of a do-it-all or jack-of-all-trades fly. This could be something that can be fished as multiple fly types (nymph, wet, dry, etc.), or a fly of any of the aforementioned types that can pass as multiple different insects and/or life cycle stages (a dry fly that can pass as multiple species or emerger/dun/spinner/cripple of the same species, or a subsurface fly that can serve as a nymph/wet/emerger). Use your imagination and create the ultimate do-anything fly.

Let's try to get minimum of 6, max. of 12 for this one, one fly per tier, due date Labor Day. (September 1). All normal swap rules apply.

Who's in?

SWAP IS FULL

1. Bryon Anderson (SM) - Hornberg READY TO GO smile.png

2.Vicrider - Crackleback RECEIVED smile.png

3. Fishingbobnelson - Rio Grande King Trude RECEIVED smile.png

4.Joseph Russell - Zug Bug RECEIVED smile.png

5.Muskyhunter81 - Super X RECEIVED smile.png

6. RickZeiger - Only RECEIVED smile.png

7. jimdbrem - Burk's Aggravator RECEIVED smile.png

Works for me. Have to think about it a bit but there's a lot of flies that qualify as someone's one and only fly in most situations and I'll have to come up with one of those. Actually, I have one in mind for this. Make me a Crackleback that can be fished dry and high, in the film, or under water at whim of the caster, and sometimes like that on just one cast.

Someone should tie a stayner ducktail! Dont knoaw what it looks like but bass and bream love them!

Someone should tie a stayner ducktail! Dont knoaw what it looks like but bass and bream love them!

Fisherboy, just to clarify, are you putting yourself in with a Stayner Ducktail or just suggesting that someone should do one?

BTW, there's a great article with SBS on the Stayner Ducktail on Pondstalker's blog http://pondstalker.blogspot.com, if you'd like to try your hand at it. :)

I may join in. I'm in so many right now I will have to think about it time frame looks good I will think about it for a day and see.

That's cool Joseph. Would love to have you in if the timing works out for you.

Works for me. Have to think about it a bit but there's a lot of flies that qualify as someone's one and only fly in most situations and I'll have to come up with one of those. Actually, I have one in mind for this. Make me a Crackleback that can be fished dry and high, in the film, or under water at whim of the caster, and sometimes like that on just one cast.

Vicrider, you're in with the Crackleback. Great pattern, one of the ones I had in mind for this swap. Glad somone is doing one.

Fisherboy, just to clarify, are you putting yourself in with a Stayner Ducktail or just suggesting that someone should do one?

BTW, there's a great article with SBS on the Stayner Ducktail on Pondstalker's blog http://pondstalker.blogspot.com, if you'd like to try your hand at it. :)

Suggesting someone should do it! I saw that post a few days ago and tied one up. The bass slammed it!

Suggesting someone should do it! I saw that post a few days ago and tied one up. The bass slammed it!

why don't you tie it rather than suggesting someone else tying it

Fisherboy0301, on 15 Jul 2014 - 1:30 PM, said:snapback.png

BTW, there's a great article with SBS on the Stayner Ducktail on Pondstalker's blog http://pondstalker.blogspot.com, if you'd like to try your hand at it. smile.png

First off, Bryon, thank you for the link back to my blog. Always appreciated when someone gives me a shout out.

Secondly, Fisherboy, I will leave the door open for you to tie a Stayner Ducktail for the swap if you want too.

I am a newby to any fly swap so would need some support for how everything works, but if Fisherboy does not want to tie a Stayner Ducktail, I would "join" the Swap and tie a few for others. Some one will need to fill me in if that is the case...........................

Pondstalker, would love to see you in one of our swaps. I've done several also from both sides and have a spot open in the "Epi Pen" stinging and biting swap so you can do a couple to get going, but this one first of course if one's enough for now.

The idea is to wait a bit to see how many end up in the swap. Then if the swap fills you tie one fly for each person in the swap not including yourself. The flies are sent to the swapmeister for sorting and return to you so you get one from each swapper, or sometimes two if swap is short people. When you send the flies you put them in a safe container like a Altoids can or similar and send them in with a self-addressed and postage envelope to get the returns.

When you finish the flies before you send them in put a small "toe-tag" on them with your board name. I use a small piece of foam but paper works. Just hook the fly into the toe tag and send it in like listed above and you'll get a nice assortment of other peoples flies. I was looking at tying the ducktail but since you're going to join us I'll wait until I have you example to go by.