Fly Tying
NebraskaToMontana

Largest Aquatic Insect

Just tie one of those things on a leader, and let him catch the fish for you.

That thing probably eats fish for dinner. Something about "turn about is fair play"

i would not want to be bit by that flies larva. ouch.

i found the part about being an indicator for water quality interesting. i think i'm going to kick over a few rocks the next time that i'm out.

Imagine that thing landing on your face while fishing.

Will scream like a little girl. LOL

One night in Oklahoma on the lower Illinois river below lake ten killer, me and the kids were sitting by the camp fire and something caught my eye. It was dark and I thought I saw something by my arm on my chair. When I turned on my head lamp, OH @*#%$%#%#,,, It was a walking stick that was close to 5" long crawling on the arm rest of my chair. At first glance(it was dark) I jump out of that chair so fast, kids were laughing so hard at me. We spent the next 30 minutes playing with it before setting it on its way. To quote "scream like a girl" well not exactly, but I did let out a "OH MY GOD" and broke the sound barrier leaping from that chair. LOL

This is what I saw crawling up my arm that night. I didn't take this picture but this is what is was and as big. What a cool bug it was. Was like playing with a toy.

post-19822-0-94736900-1406125442_thumb.jpg

I have quite a few Dobson flies around here. I took some pictures last year when they were turning into adults. I was finding them half transformed around the river and lots of them flying around at night. I have not seen many this year but found a few in my kick seine a couple times in the last few months.

post-52247-0-87346100-1406148781_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-99857300-1406148789_thumb.jpg

I think it died during its transformation. I found it mid day on a rock so it was getting close to being bug jerky.

Nah it was looking for unsuspecting skinny dippers to enter an oriface and finish its transformation into a creature ready to take over the universe.