Fly Tying
add147

Dove Season a Month Away...

Yes I know this is a fly tying forum but with the anticipation of Dove Season being right around the corner I made these flies out of I believe from the head of a turtle dove that I received in my Ebay lot.

My first time on using floss...Took me a little getting use to working with that stuff.

post-52478-0-25057700-1406782485_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmmm dove, lots of wheat fields out back this year and lots of dove, looking forward to some B.B.Q Dove breast.

Filet the meat off the breast and dredge it in a spiced up flour breading. Deep fry and wet with wing sauce. Buffalo Dove Bites.

And the wing covert feathers make wicked soft hackles...

Dove hunting was one of my very favorite back in the 60s but the numbers are not like they used to be. I sure miss it. I remember one time when they flew over so thick and so low that I threw dirt clods at them (came close) because I ran out of shells. I hunted them a lot, averaging 1 in every 3 to 4 shots, but never found the body feathers useful for tying. They were excellent simmered in mushroom gravy though.