Fly Tying
troutguy

I found a feather

It is a bit off topic and touchy for some. I wasn't attacking anyone and apologize if it was taken that way. I only disagreed. There are many ways to look at things,. At one end (call it the left hand) there are unbiased appreciation and open mindedness that ignores opposing facts. At the other (right hand) are biased hostility and closed mindedness that also ignore opposing facts. That is how the extremes justify their positions. I try hard to stay in the moderate middle but I sometimes stray in both directions. Even the extremes think they are in the middle and see the middle as an opposition. I wouldn't want an eagle feather for fly tying and I likely wouldn't put one on my hat. I have tied with condor though. Makes great looking bodies when wrapped around the shank. At most, I'd display the eagle feather with my western artifacts.

after a few coffees my last statement, all though witty, made little sense, lol.

i enjoy a great debate as most. what i have no patience or time for, are straw men arguments. man oh man; they were damn near as plentiful as stick people on the back of a soccer mom's van, this morning, lol. some bigger, some smaller. all i could do was shake my head and laugh.

i do want to thank flytire for the links with the info i was looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

aj

after a few coffees my last statement, all though witty, made little sense, lol.

i enjoy a great debate as most. what i have no patience or time for, are straw men arguments. man oh man; they were damn near as plentiful as stick people on the back of a soccer mom's van, this morning, lol. some bigger, some smaller. all i could do was shake my head and laugh.

i do want to thank flytire for the links with the info i was looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

aj

We should get a beer, sometime.

Welcome to nanny-state America, where critical thinking is more endangered than our stupid national bird.

Since America is one of the few Countries were you CAN voice your opinion, and do all the "Critical Thinking" you want, I think it's the greatest Country in the world.

And if you are just trying to piss people off, you've succeeded. I'll tell you right now, and if I have the opportunity, I'd tell you to your face ... I'd rather protect our National Symbol by killing you than kill it to allow a few idiots access to exotic feathers.

I mean, gee, maybe Baby's Skin would make a great tail material, like rabbit strips without the fur. Why don't we just start killing them, too. You know, population control and fly tying supplies in the same swift stroke.

with good management and sound conservation, we are now able to trap and kill our national animal, the beaver. this is after the fact that beavers were trapped and killed, closed to extinction for the hat industry. food for thought.

Welcome to nanny-state America, where critical thinking is more endangered than our stupid national bird.

Since America is one of the few Countries were you CAN voice your opinion, and do all the "Critical Thinking" you want, I think it's the greatest Country in the world.

And if you are just trying to piss people off, you've succeeded. I'll tell you right now, and if I have the opportunity, I'd tell you to your face ... I'd rather protect our National Symbol by killing you than kill it to allow a few idiots access to exotic feathers.

I mean, gee, maybe Baby's Skin would make a great tail material, like rabbit strips without the fur. Why don't we just start killing them, too. You know, population control and fly tying supplies in the same swift stroke.

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I could never imagine going through life and getting pissed off that easily. Yes, harvesting fallen eagle feathers is on par with fileting human babies, where was my head??? mikechell, part of the amendment that you so-readily endorse is meant for people like you and me... So we can both insult one another on fly fishing message boards. It sounds like you need to get out on the water, maybe? I can't imagine my dainty ole' opinion could have miffed you that much.

And I'm curious, which democratic country CANT you voice your opinion? I think there's like 200+ countries that grant the same freedom as us. I don't know the exact number of sovreign states but I'd be willing to venture it's more than a "few".

We do have flamers here. You keep pushing buttons. I do not like flamers and the lack of it here is one of the reason I'm here. You chase away people that don't find pleasure in hostility. I trapped muskrat and an occasional mink when I was a teen, before and after school during the winter. I received about .75 cents each (mink were a lot more) and that was good money. People were happy working for $1.00 per hour back then. I checked a few years ago and the trappers are getting the same amount, maybe even less now. That's over a half century later. If you think it is wrong to kill an animal (food or fur) then you should be a true vegetarian. But you should not force your belief on the large majority that are natural carnivorous humans. As for our National bird... Practically, maybe it should be a turkey, but that is like ugly beating beautiful in a pageant. I'll take a male bald eagle's majestic beauty over any other bird if in competition, practical or not. I can only assume, from the negative post that you are part of the cancerous growth growing in the USA who not only lacks respect and patriotism but maybe even encourages revolution. Thank God you are in the small minority and recently declining in numbers.

Very good Mikechell... Finding black humor in asinine statements made by anti-everything people is a good human quality. This is not a political forum. Those of you that are emotionally charged and flaming anger should try another forum. You are the attackers here so don't expect not to get counter attacked. Although we have one of the best countries in the world, it would not last if the anti-government cancer was in the majority. I wish you flamers would go somewhere else and spread your unpleasant crap on a debate forum. This is not a debate forum. Lets talk tying.

Wishing death on someone who hold a different opinion is about American as it gets, I suppose. No surprise that its admired here as well. I'm sorry, I'll use more discretion in the future.