Fly Tying
vicrider

Putting your lead on the hook

The square lead "wire" I use has always come on a spool -just like the lighter, round stuff that freshwater tyers use. The only place I've ever found it was Cascade Crest (only they were Rogue River Anglers, way back when....). Your contact there is Pat Dunlop if anyone's interested....

I think you mean flat lead, not square. I've never seen square lead and can't imagine how you would use it. Has anyone considered the flat lead by Loon, called LED? Works great on large flies. You can put a spool in your vest or tackle box to use streamside as you would split shot. But I've never used either. I have used the putty like lead if extra weight is necessary. Can't remember the brand name. I don't mind round lead at all.le in most fly shops and on line too.

I said Loon but it is Larva Lace LED. It is available. Not sure of the diameter but it is thin and about 1/16" wide.

Jan Siman has been selling what is listed as square lead wire for many years. If you can wind it onto the hook shank without twisting it then you do get a tiny bit extra weight from it. It isn't precisely square as it has rounded corners. It comes in cut lengths which is a problem as it creates extra waste, all those little pieces that end up too short to wind on another hook.

(I say wind onto the hook as this is how it is intended to be used. you could lash it along the hook shank just as easily.)

Cheers,

C.

Color change depends on the material and floss is the worse, but thread will too. I always wrap a foundation of white thread under floss so the darker color doesn't bleed through when wet. As for threading the hook before wrapping lead... As Flytire said. there is no right or wrong way, but I do it. I also add cement before and after wrapping lead. I have no problem sliding lead or even packing hair on a properly threaded hook.

What I do to counteract this (and to make my streamers bulletproof) is to coat my floss bodies on streamers with Liquid Fusion. I have had no discoloration issues and it protects the floss and wire from being damaged after a few fish. Nothing irritates me more than spending half an hour (or usually longer) on a fly and having it destroyed after a couple of fish.

Your square lead should be called flat lead. The Larvae Lace "LED" is flat and thin. Never tried the Square Lead but would like a comparison from anyone that has tried both.

I have not been up to date the last 2 or 3 years (illness), and don't want to sound like I'm totally ignorant, but what is Liquid Fusion? New to me. Paint? I have used lacquer to paint hook shanks white. Is it a cement?

Your square lead should be called flat lead. The Larvae Lace "LED" is flat and thin. Never tried the Square Lead but would like a comparison from anyone that has tried both.

I have not been up to date the last 2 or 3 years (illness), and don't want to sound like I'm totally ignorant, but what is Liquid Fusion? New to me. Paint? I have used lacquer to paint hook shanks white. Is it a cement?

It's a clear urethane glue.

http://www.joann.com/liquid-fusion-clear-urethane-glue-2-oz/9494709.html

Joann coupons are ridiculously easy to get, online or in a paper, and I can usually get a bottle for under $5 with a coupon...or you can pay $8-9 in a fly shop. It lasts a long time at the bench. It dries clear and shrinks a little as it dries, so I put it on heavy then stick the flies on a turner. Easy to use and very cheap. It also can be thinned with water. I even use it to coat the bottoms of my deer hair bugs.