Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

Windows 8 Compatability...

My son is a professional hacker for Dollar Tree. I can't remember his network security title. The last time he visited he worked on my computer Dell and it quickly became worse. He is very knowledgeable with networks and hacking but I do not have much faith in his home computer skills. I hesitated, but called him last night. He said it was a simple fix, just download the free version of Malwarebytes and run a scan. I just did it on the Dell with XP and it is operating like new. I will do it on the HP with Windows 8.1 but he said it will not likely fix my problems with this forum. He said that operating system is only going through growing pains and in time it should be running well. Same with all new operating systems... bugs need to be detected and fixed. I'll just access this forum with my XP. I can link and post pictures so my problem is solved. Thanks to all.

This is an award winning carving by a friend. Just testing my ability to add a picture.

post-1681-0-07734600-1411493712_thumb.jpg

My son is a professional hacker for Dollar Tree. I can't remember his network security title. The last time he visited he worked on my computer Dell and it quickly became worse. He is very knowledgeable with networks and hacking but I do not have much faith in his home computer skills. I hesitated, but called him last night. He said it was a simple fix, just download the free version of Malwarebytes and run a scan. I just did it on the Dell with XP and it is operating like new. I will do it on the HP with Windows 8.1 but he said it will not likely fix my problems with this forum. He said that operating system is only going through growing pains and in time it should be running well. Same with all new operating systems... bugs need to be detected and fixed. I'll just access this forum with my XP. I can link and post pictures so my problem is solved. Thanks to all.

This is an award winning carving by a friend. Just testing my ability to add a picture.

Wow your friend is very talented...

Google has a very BAD habit of knocking Adobe Flash Player and Java off kilter - Open Chrome and go to this page http://chrome://plugins/ bookmark it!!

Make sure the following items are checked ALWAYS ON

Adobe Flash Player

Java

I found the same problem as I set up my wife's new Win8 laptop for her school work and it fixed the problem. I've pretty much dumped IE any version as it's turned into a virus factory or always locks up.

Google has a very BAD habit of knocking Adobe Flash Player and Java off kilter - Open Chrome and go to this page http://chrome://plugins/ bookmark it!!

Make sure the following items are checked ALWAYS ON

Adobe Flash Player

Java

I found the same problem as I set up my wife's new Win8 laptop for her school work and it fixed the problem. I've pretty much dumped IE any version as it's turned into a virus factory or always locks up.

Firefox has developed a tendency to become non-responsive when there is video on any web page.

It was so simple in the Basic days. I found things to be manageable by keeping a limited open pages and using Firefox. Google Chrome and Explorer is history and I'm doing fine. Thanks to all.

It would be your browser or settings.

Download say Firefox and try that just for this website.

Yes, XP hardware like printers will not be supported with new operating system

There is errrm 'Start menu 8' also to look at

I do not know if it is just me but I can't copy, paste, or post pictures or links on this site. I think it is my operating system on my new computer. Windows 8. I am very displeased with it and the computer, a Hewlett Packard. I bought it because my old Dell computer with XP was slow and jams constantly. I can't use a lot of my other software with Windows 8, including my hiking GPS, and there are no drivers to install. Is anyone else having such problems?

I am running Windows 8.1 and have no problem on this site using both IE or the Metro browser other than viewing the pattern database and that seams to be a php error. As for running older apps, it isn't always easy but we run all kinds of older apps on Win 8 machines. For instance, I recently helped someone get an Access 2 app to run on 8.1 and office 2014. Not easy but doable with a little tinkering. It is inconvenient but with most other operating systems there is no way to run apps created for older versions.