Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

Windows 8 Compatability...

have you tried the primitive Ctrl-V function to PASTE or the Ctrl-C to COPY

after I copy something I cant use the right mouse button to PASTE

have you also checked your browsers "Internet Options" to ensure all your settings are correct?

spending money to correct a problem that may or may not get fixed is kind of silly to me. adding additional RAM doesn't make sense when you have a copy-paste issue

however I do hope you can get this resolved in your favor

Hi Ed,

I have an 8 plus year old HP Pavilion desk top that I'm using right now with no issues. I'll also add that I'm still stuck back in Windows '98 as far as posting pic's and links go. That said, this site is one of the easiest to upload pic's, whether it's directly from your PC or from Photobucket, Myfishingpics, or where ever. I use Google Chrome most of the time since you can add emoticons here using that. IE 6 works too, but you can't do quite as much.

Here's a pic below that you might remember. Direct upload.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-50169700-1411149699_thumb.jpg

It isn't just copy and paste. The big problem is not being able to add links in the message, add links with the icon, or add pictures without the page freezing up and the only way out is to shut the page down. I have other issues with software not being supported and no drivers available to download. I don't think it is off subject to think it is my computer and look at possible solutions. I will try to paste with the ctrl function but later. I do not want to lose what I already typed. I've had PCs since they came out and programmed with Basic but things change so fast I have a hard time keeping up. I had a webpage, flytyingworld (can't type the URL) for many years (15 to 20) but sold it when my eyes failed. I was cyber absent for a few years because of the failure but that has been corrected enough recently to start back. Things have changed a lot. I was never knowledgeable with the internal workings of a computer because I never needed to.

My settings have been checked and I updated everything I could. I downloaded drivers that helped with a couple issues but this one has me stumped. I will try Firefox. I liked it on my old computer. I have a problem with the cpu (or whatever it is) and just found out the memory addition likely wouldn't solve it. I run about 5 to 6 tabs at a time. That could be a problem and I must find a solution. Everything may be tied to one thing and that is why we moved away from the initial subject. I am not computer literate but guess I'll have to learn more. Thanks to all for their help. Ed.

The ctrl v, ctrl c, ctrl p, or anything else with a keyboard function didn't work. I'm beginning to despise this computer and would trade for something else if given the chance. Anyone here live within an hour of the southern end of VAs Blue Ridge Parkway that may be interested?

Now I know who you are, Mark. That is an awful looking Skunk I tied. You must have ran it through the washer and dryer a few times. Just kidding! I recall a swap. I tied them with a roadkill skunk many years ago.

When I get time I'll try Chrome and if that is a problem I'll go with Firefox. If that doesn't work I'll throw the laptop in a shreader and send little parts to everyone who posted here. Kidding again... I will conquer this challenge eventually. Thanks to everyone. Ed.

I put Firefox on my old computer and going to try an upload with XP. This is a true Cree (aka Creel) in Spain. When I get a close-up of the feathers I'll post it. I did manage to conquer this problem thanks to all the help I've had here. Ed.

post-1681-0-50438100-1411224907_thumb.jpeg

don't blame the computer, nobody can use 8 even experts , My computer guy recommended windows 7 it is more like what everyone is used to

Do you know a way to reformat the disk with Windows 8 and install XP? I have been told it can't by a couple sources. As for other problems, such as slowing down and freezing up, my diagnostic test indicate "High CPU" and not enough memory, especially on my older Dell. Google Chrome and even the newer version of Firefox, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop Elements #9, and others have high memory usage. Maybe I can increase the memory on my old Dell but what about CPU. I don't even know what that is. DUH! But I am struggling with my old Dell's slowdown so I can copy, paste, and post pictures and links on this forum. Ed.

Do you know a way to reformat the disk with Windows 8 and install XP? I have been told it can't by a couple sources. As for other problems, such as slowing down and freezing up, my diagnostic test indicate "High CPU" and not enough memory, especially on my older Dell. Google Chrome and even the newer version of Firefox, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop Elements #9, and others have high memory usage. Maybe I can increase the memory on my old Dell but what about CPU. I don't even know what that is. DUH! But I am struggling with my old Dell's slowdown so I can copy, paste, and post pictures and links on this forum. Ed.

Ed - I am not an expert, so take this with many grains of salt. If you can find some expert advise, please ignore mine.

First your two different computers are entirely different problems - the old XP Dell is old and slow. There may be ways to speed it up, but I'm not going there in this post. I'm only talking about your one year old HP laptop with Win 8.

Here's my two cents and what I would do. I would not try to install XP on a one year old laptop. Laptops have many proprietary components, so you may have many driver and incompatibility issues.

Your laptop was built to run Windows 8. It came with that O/S and drivers that were tested. Despite all the hate, Windows 8.1 does work on millions of computers. I think loading Windows XP will require tons of work and is unlikely to be very satisfying. Much of the architecture on your laptop was completely redesigned long after Microsoft abandoned XP.

Based on all the work you've done so far, I think you could use some professional help, as long as it's not too expensive.

I believe you bought your laptop at Best Buy. When I bought mine, they offered me an inexpensive option to get Geek Squad support. It covered support for 3 devices for a year. I've used them for the laptop, my wife's Mac and still can ask for help on another device. I've never bought extended warranties, service contracts, etc..., but I thought this was a good deal. Among other things, they've helped me with anti-virus software, migration to 8.1 and checking backups.

I'd ask Best Buy for their best deal on Geek Squad help with this laptop, and ask exactly what they can do to help. Specifically, can they help you reinstall Win 8.1 and troubleshoot the performance issues.

If they offer the same deal that I got, you can have them look at your laptop, your XP and your wife's computer. I know you've talked to them about memory upgrades, but maybe a clean install of Win 8.1 followed by complete diagnostics would be a good start.

Geek squad is not perfect, but they've been very helpful to me.

Good luck,

Bruce

You could rejuvenate the old Dell by maybe installing window 7 depending how old it is

I would not install Windows XP since Microsoft will no longer be supporting that operating system

Take your laptop in to a local pc shop or wherever you bought it and have them diagnose your system and fix it

Hard to recommend a fix on a bulletin board

Thanks. I will seek out a computer hospital on my newer computer to be admitted and hopefully become healthy. Maybe, if it is not too expensive, I'll do the same with my old Dell. I have several software applications I use that Windows 8 does not so maybe I can get Windows 7. Thanks again. Ed.

I've been told that you cannot load an older version of Windows on a computer that already has a newer version.

But, you can get a new hard drive with NOTHING on it and load any OS you want to.

If you have a "Refresh Computers" store near you, I recommend them. Free diagnostics, inexpensive repairs and they can take care of most problems you might be having.

They can also get you loaded up with Windows 7 on a new hard drive.

I must admit that I struggle with this site -every time I visit it. I routinely post on four or five other sites daily (when I'm not guiding and just too tired to do any computer stuff) and rarely ever have an issue with any other site... I'm not a sophisticated computer user -but I've managed to do a bit of article writing for more than one magazine without any great difficulty. For some reason I've never been able to use the standard "post" button on this site. Every post will only work with the "more reply options" button... I'm using Windows 7 but also AOL (which is probably the root problem if there is one on my end...). Funny, though, every other site I post on works just fine....

I must admit that I struggle with this site -every time I visit it. I routinely post on four or five other sites daily (when I'm not guiding and just too tired to do any computer stuff) and rarely ever have an issue with any other site... I'm not a sophisticated computer user -but I've managed to do a bit of article writing for more than one magazine without any great difficulty. For some reason I've never been able to use the standard "post" button on this site. Every post will only work with the "more reply options" button... I'm using Windows 7 but also AOL (which is probably the root problem if there is one on my end...). Funny, though, every other site I post on works just fine....

Me too. Several problems posting on this site, but not on any others. Internet Explorer freezes when I click on options that open a new dialog box. I am not on AOL.

Chrome browser works better for me, and others report Firefox works well.