Fly Tying
dryfly purist

Autumn has arrived at my river with beautiful colours everywhere......

Autumn has arrived at river RENA in Norway. The trout season enden last weekend so i just had to go up there again to look at the beautiful colours we have at this time of year.

Soon there will be snow and not so many colours to see so i cherish every moment i can get by the river that i love so much.........

15297479051_c719d5232e_h.jpg

Terje

Beautiful! Thanks for posting the picture. Never been to Norway but it looks lovely. The picture reminds me of something I might see in Michigan or Wisconsin.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting the picture. Never been to Norway but it looks lovely. The picture reminds me of something I might see in Michigan or Wisconsin.

Thanks a lot for your kind comment, williamhj :-) :-)

Terje

Gorgeous Terje! Is that some species of Salvinia in the river? It makes for real nice fish habitat, and is indicative of really good water quality. Wish I was there.

Gorgeous Terje! Is that some species of Salvinia in the river? It makes for real nice fish habitat, and is indicative of really good water quality. Wish I was there.

Thanks a lot, FlaFly :-)

I´m not sure what kind of grass that is. In the begining of the season it´s veryl little of this but late in the season it kind of gets to much of it which makes it almost impossible to land a trout on the places this grass grows.

This season it´s more of this salad than ever before because the river got very warm after one of the hottest summers in years here in Norway, so i guess that´s why it looks like a salad bar almost everywhere right now :-) :-)

Terje

If I could see a closeup of it I might have a better idea what it is. Salvinia is called tape grass or eelgrass, and is a true grass... it gets its nutrition from the sediment via roots. It might be something else called Hydrilla, which is an algae... which gets its nutrition from the water itself. If the water has too many nutrients (usually from fertilizer), Hydrilla and other algae can become excessive.

Anyway it's a beautiful picture. I noticed the canoe on the bank near the red house, and felt a bit jealous.

Sorry to disagree with you, FlaFly ... I am not sure where you're getting your information, but the following is from a university research information website.

Salvinia, an invasive species, looks like this:

"Hydrilla is a perennial, which means the leaves and stems die when the weather gets cold, but the roots continue to live in the soil. When the weather gets warm again, the roots send up new stems and leaves. Hydrilla roots are called tubers, and look a lot like small potatoes."

It is not an algae, but it can live without it's roots in the soil in nutrient rich water ... just like starting plants in a vase of water.

Terje, as usual, you've captured a magic moment, with the colors and the glass like waters ... stunning view.

You got me Mike.... I was meaning to say Vallisneria (tapegrass).... not Salvinia (duckweed). At least duckweed stays on the surface :-)

It's old-ageism! Too long away from the job.

Sorry we stole your thread Terje.

Terje-

Great photo, looks like it could be a companion to the thread "What a Wonderful World.............."

Thanks again.

Bill

Thanks, Bill :-)

The photo is taken from almost the same spot as the photo "what a wonderful world" was taken, just the other direction :-) :-)

Terje

Terje

is that red house by the river yours? I saw one very like it on your facebook page. and you've been holding out! You've got lots more really fantastic photos over there.

Terje

is that red house by the river yours? I saw one very like it on your facebook page. and you've been holding out! You've got lots more really fantastic photos over there.

No it´s not but it´s a beautiful cabin and the location is fantastic :-)

Having said that our cabin is just a few minutes further up the river and also has a beautiful location just 10 meter from the riverside :-)

This is our two cabins:

15128560579_ec00ae372a_h.jpg

Terje