Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Lots of work into this grip

Just finished this custom grip with 11 coats of urethane which was hand rubbed with steel wool between each coat for a glass like finish. This one will be going on a 10ft 3wt 4pc that I'll be offering for sale for a very good price shortly.

7amg6P.jpg

Agreed to what others have said. Beauty grip.

Just wondering how this topic fits in the fly fishing section.... maybe needs to go to the lodge section? ?

Again beauty work. You have a great talent!!

Just wondering how this topic fits in the fly fishing section.... maybe needs to go to the lodge section? ?

Fly Fishing Forum- dedicated to reports,destinations, techniques gear and everything else related to fly fishing. The Lodge is for everything else off topic of fly fishing/tying

Pretty sure I know what goes where since I'm one of the two guys that typed out those forum descriptions when we set up the site laugh.png

Thanks for the compliments.

Pretty sure I know what goes where since I'm one of the two guys that typed out those forum descriptions when we set up the site laugh.png

Yeah Steve ... but you ARE getting older. Hang with this logic for a minute:

I don't believe memory is the first thing to go ... but when you do lose your memory, you can't remember what you lost before that so it SEEMS like the first thing that went.

Like my Mom. She was 29 until her oldest got to that age. Then, she HAD to admit she was 39. So on and so on for 40 years.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the rod it goes on looks... that is beautiful!

Been working on it today. I will say, it defiantly won't be everyone's cup of tea because it's pretty flashy with metallic blue, black and silver wraps, and a lot of extra wraps to dress it up. So guys who like subtle rods won't like it I'm sure laugh.png But it does look pretty wild. Should have some pics of the whole rod probably tomorrow. Mike is gonna drool all over it because he loves blue ...and the blank is blue, the grip has blue in it, and the wraps have a lot of bright metallic blue.

Having built my own rod years ago, (9' 4wt Scott A2 blank) I do have an appreciation for all of the work that goes into your rods. I wanted to build a rod on a Diamondback blank that had a woven look to it in just a graphite color or brown, I believe it was the Trout Classic... I loved the look of the Sevier Tiger Eye too. I am a sucker for those kinds of rods... Know of a source for the woven look?

Know of a source for the woven look?

Sure... American Tackle Matrix blanks. They come in both green as well as black and the first 31" of the butt section of the Matrix series have the woven twill carbon fiber look on them http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Black-Matrix-Series

They don't have a good pic on the Mudhole site on that link, but here's one I just did a couple weeks ago on the Matrix blank so you can see the twill weave in the blank like you mentioned http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=79333

Steve, thank you so much! That is exactly what I am looking for. Tried to PM you with a couple questions last night but your box was full/no longer accepting PMs.