Fly Tying
Old Hat

A variety of Fades

Here is a series of flies I call Fades. Simple in design. They are very good searching patterns. The orange pattern has replaced the hares ear spider as my go to searching pattern especially on new water. I consider them part attractor and part mimicry as each has some similarity to food stuff. The orange makes a nice Fall caddis as well, the red is a good for stoneflies about and the green is useful for some free living caddis flies. I also tie in cream, but it seems to be the least effective. I use them for trout and steelhead both. Generally #14-#16 for trout and #6-#10 for steelhead. These are tied with seal but Davy's Bug Dub SLF works great as well.

3SteelheadFades.jpg

Nice ... blending of colors looks good. I'd have been concerned about not having that contrasting edge of two colors, but I think those are truly fish catchers.

Thanks all for the comments.

I don't use a darker color of the same for the thorax. I usually use a black or brown dubbing for the thorax area. The dubbing technique creates a blending of the two body colors at the point where they meet.

These particular flies were for steelhead. They are tied on Sawada Old Limerick wet #8. For trout I like a 2x long nymph hook. The hackle is partridge dyed Dun.