Fly Tying
eide

November flies from the bench

Kimo, That's sounds incredible. That would be a sight to see. The snow affect with all the shrimp I mean. And the crunch sound when you pick them up, would be crazy! To be honest, I've never seen a real Mysis shrimp in my hand. I am putting that on my bucket list. I've caught wipers and white bass that coughed up shad from gorging before. I've caught 10 to 20 lb. channel cats that coughed up huge crappie. Crappie big enough to fillet. Keep in mind I live in Kansas. Colorado is for vacationing only. I love it there. I used to go twice a year. It's been probably 8 years since I've been there. Women!

Kimo,

I just had to post this picture for you. Toilet Bowlers ! The guy that wrote this article did not want to go any where near that. I had to laugh. Friken lightning bolts. Oh, buy the way, the small red gut patch on the fly is a nice detail. Many other mysis patterns leave that off. I personally think it is a detail left off too many times. Scuds, small fish fry, they all got it. I put it in on my stuff too. I dig it!! Your fly is one of the nicest Mysis flies I've seen.

post-19822-0-23506700-1416002919_thumb.jpg

My first tie in a long time, not based on a swap or part of teaching others.

The classic wet fly, Trout Fin. Meant to imitate a baited fin from an Arctic Char... supposed to trigger aggression from migrating chars.

post-13174-0-94479400-1416092086_thumb.jpg

That's perfect, Henrick.

That wing is flawless and those chrome wraps are so evenly spaced they look machined.

I am not a classic fly fan, but I must admire the skill of that fly.

A couple dozen for buddies headed to the Taylor. It's

warmer up there than it is in Denver right now.1399731_10152367886207003_62716717177183

Mahalo,

Kimo

Beautiful shrimp, Kimo! I am in Crested Butte fairly often and have been since 1980. I fish from there back down by and past Roaring Judy, Almont, and into Gunnison. Great area and nice people.

Ray

Hoping to catch some cold weather NJ strippers with this new articulated creation of mine

Fatty,

That is one beautiful bait fish! I have got tying those dudes down to a fine art, looks like to me! Depending on the hook size, it will catch anything. You should post a step-by-step on that; it has better color and trimming than most.

Ray

Preparing for the week-end :) Tube 4mm, about 24cm long

2streamere.jpg

Howto:

Piker,

GREAT fly; super video. Thanks for taking the time to do that. It's explanatory and very interesting.

On the Fish masks, are they sold 1 mask for $5.50 or are there more than one in the package. I looked and saw one in a package, but I looked at the Fish Skulls and there were several in those. I don't usually spend that much on a fly's components unless I'm "trying" to do a Classic Salmon.

Ohh yeah, in my part of the country, Central Texas, those big Pike or Muskie flies are good for Alligator Gar. We catch and release those down here. They run large for the ones we catch, and I haven't caught a big one on a fly, but I'm going to tie some of these up and see if I'll get a strike, probably using a 10 or 12 wgt TFO rod. The gar usually caught run 100 to 200 pounds, with the largest hitting near 300. They are ancient fish that swam with the dinosaurs and not much changed from then. Texas has a fishable population, and now we have limits, so catch and release is what my friends and I do. they are spectacular. You really have to watch their teeth!!

Thanks!!

Ray

Piker,

GREAT fly; super video. Thanks for taking the time to do that. It's explanatory and very interesting.

On the Fish masks, are they sold 1 mask for $5.50 or are there more than one in the package. I looked and saw one in a package, but I looked at the Fish Skulls and there were several in those. I don't usually spend that much on a fly's components unless I'm "trying" to do a Classic Salmon.

Thanks!!

Ray

Ray,

The #3 (smallest) has a dozen Fish-Masks. The #6 has 8 Fish-Masks in a package.

Kimo