Fly Tying
hopsandhooks

Name a fly tying material I should try in 2015

If you "like" tying streamers, then maybe it's not an issue of material, but of flies.

For 2015, perhaps you should venture into spinning and stacking deer hair. Maybe do some foam or balsa bodied poppers.

I've been tying with raccoon tail for a few years, and I really like the bushiness of it, and the way that bushiness doesn't seem to change much when it's wet. Perhaps you can try some wild varmint furs like that.

I've spin a lot of deer hair for bass poppers and also work with foam A LOT. I have never tried to make a balsa bodied popper though. I did purchase a few from a friend who makes them but haven't fished them yet to see what they do.

I have never heard of anyone tying with raccoon haha

It might be easier to suggest something new if you list what you have tied with. I tie mostly bass & saltwater flies and have tied with many materials. I also like natural materials the most, but do tie with synthetics. There are various synthetics now available with different "names" and some of them are the same or very similar and are being marketed by different suppliers.

One material I like utilizing in streamers is called "Hackle Flash" from Cascade Crest. I get it primarily from J Stockard when they have it on sale. There are several other synthetic "chenille" materials I've been using such as Estaz that I like to add to patterns.

I've tied with raccoon too. Plus, the hair from many other fur bearer animals. I also like the fur & tail hair from various fox & fox hybrids (farm raised) & coyote for some types of streamers.

If you "like" tying streamers, then maybe it's not an issue of material, but of flies.

For 2015, perhaps you should venture into spinning and stacking deer hair. Maybe do some foam or balsa bodied poppers.

I've been tying with raccoon tail for a few years, and I really like the bushiness of it, and the way that bushiness doesn't seem to change much when it's wet. Perhaps you can try some wild varmint furs like that.

I've spin a lot of deer hair for bass poppers and also work with foam A LOT. I have never tried to make a balsa bodied popper though. I did purchase a few from a friend who makes them but haven't fished them yet to see what they do.

I have never heard of anyone tying with raccoon haha

I use raccoon in some of my streamers. The long guard hairs make nice tailing and the under hair makes good dubbing.