Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
thirstea

Wet fly - need your feedback

This is my first attempt at doing a married wing and this style of fly. Pick it apart please. There's alot probably, i know smile.png

Some questions..

1. how do i avoid the collapse of the wing like this? Notice the blue. I held it as tight as i could
  2. The throat looks odd to me. Too long? too far back?
  3. Gold tinsel is too thick i think.. can it be wrapped in that direction? looks backwards to me.
  4. I called this a wet fly in my title.. is it a wet fly?

dpwwft.jpg

I also need a bigger cup and better lighting for the pictures.. this is a work in progress lol.

The wing is pretty good for a first try. Your issues are all proportion things and easily corrected:

1) Wing is a little too wide and long

2) Tail is good

3) Use a narrower tinsel, wrap direction is your choice, but traditionally is done the same way the the body is wrapped.

4) Throat is way too far back and too long. It should start under the wing and go to the point of the hook.

Remember, this is fly tying not brain surgery. Proportions are established by tradition not by any really hard evidence that they work better.

Steve

I would agree with everything steve said and add that the tail is a bit long too. I like to tie in the tippet just in front of the second black baring.

It doesn't float, so it's a wet fly... a streamer... actually looks like a lot of salmon flies. That's a pretty ambitious try for a new tyer, and for a beginner, your technique is really good. Is this the kind of fly you plan to fish with? If not, you might want to practice on what you'll be using. But I applaud your ambition... I won't be trying those kind of flies for a long time.

thirstea

i think you answered a couple of your own questions especially #2 & #3

i think you did a good job with the wing tie in point and the collapse of the feather fibers is what you really want

however these are just some tips nothing more

1. the wing is too wide. it should be approximately 2/3 hook gap to hook gap wide

2. use small tinsel. ribbing may be 5 turn with the 3rd turn at the middle of the body

3. yes it is a wet fly also known as a winged wet fly

for excellent examples tied by the master of winged wet flies don bastion check out the links below

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/category/ray-bergman-collection/

http://donbastianwetflies.com/

excellent book for your library

mXuqy8c3yfU4qc3ayb6dd0w.jpg

I agree with the other points mentioned, and will add that the head seems a bit large/long.

One tip I can give is try tying with your mind sat on the idea, that tying thread is the most expensive thing in the world. Only to be used when and where necessary. That will give you space for everything.

Little thing on the rib, it is I my opinion only slightly too wide. Have to look nice with the space in between the ribs being of equal widt as the rib.

Like others have noted your proportions need some attention. I suspect that things started to go wrong for you with the hook. That is hardly what I call a wet fly hook, perhaps more suited to a nymph. As all proportions are taken from the hook you are using that doesn't give you a good starting point. As an example, your tail is as long as the hook shank. That would be about right, but the hook shank is too long so the tail looks overly long.

Henrik is spot on about the thread. If you want to see a masterful example of this watch any of Hans Weilenmann's videos.

For such a large wing you have done a really good job of setting it. I was once shown the method top classic salmon fly tiers use to set their wings. It is very different to the pinch and loop. The method is called the Valley Method. it produces much better, and more consistent results. Somewhere I have an explanation of it I'll try to dig it out.

Counter ribbing really isn't needed on dubbed bodies, the only place you really need it is on delicate herl bodies. Usually the pitch of the rib is different enough to the pitch of the body material that you don't need to counter rib.

Cheers,

C.

Thank you all for your feedback! There's a wealth of knowledge in all your comments that I'll put to the vise today and see what comes of the new attempt!

Steve & shoebop.. Proportions, proportions, proportions! Got it! A better hook as has been mentioned will probably shorten up the tail.

Flafly, I have a creative background and that's what drew me to fly tying. I saw some classic salmon flies and knew this was something I'm going to do. Figured I'd start with simpler flies to learn techniques on before attempting a fully dressed one.. That's currently the long term goal! Will I fish these wets? Probably. Part of the learning process is seeing how the materials move in the water so I can then pair various materials to give a desired affect. smile.png I have been tying various nymphs and streamers that I do fish with more so on a regular basis.

Flytire, appreciate the links and the book reference. I can visualize a hook gape wide wing making this fly more more balanced! I'll shoot for that next time.

Henrik, that's a good mindset regarding thread as I've been doing the opposite while I should be taking as few wraps as possible.

Crackaig, choosing the right size hook is a mystery to me at this point. I try to match what a recipe calls for usually. Lately I've just been tying with different hooks so I can see for myself which looks better.