Fly Tying
portlyjoe

Swaps?

A dozen or so tiers each tie a dozen or so flies ... send them to the Swap ring leader, who sorts them so that each participant gets one of every other participants fly ... and then he sends the packages out to each.

I'd like to try this, but I'm not too sure my stuff is up to snuff. Also, most of my patterns are for salt, although Im sure they'd work in sweet water if I scaled them down. Btw what are "toe tags" are they a card that says what materials were used in the tying that people include whit the flys sent? Is there a standard to follow?

Toe tags are simply some type of label attached to each fly to identify who tied it. As far as being up to snuf, folks involved in swaps don't have to be experts, and it's a good way to see what can be done to improve your tying. Most swaps have a theme, so the flies are generally similar. I tie salt patterns too, but doesn't stop me from tying other types. Swaps are a fun way to exchange ideas & of course flies.

Joe ... no one will ask you to join a swap. Or, at least, you can't rely on that. The forum dedicated to swaps is where to go. Keep an eye on that forum. When a swap comes up, go for it. Don't worry that your flies aren't premium ... swaps are a way to improve, since you'll need to tie the same fly as many times as there are participants. Repetition helps.

echo - keep your eye on the swaps forum. swaps come up often enough, but you need to sign up quick, they fill up quick.

as for competence, also echo above comments ... no worries. it's in fact a great confidence builder, and gives you a chance to practice-tie numerous flies without piling up a bunch of stuff on your bench/desk. In the meantime, while you are developing your skills, you get some really cool flies to use, and that expands the number of patterns in your repertoire. It's all good.

I would echo everything said above.As Martha would say - "It's a good thing". Generally, there are no more than 12 participants in a swap, so don't be concerned that you'll have to tie 3 dozen flies. It's a great learning tool and confidence builder. I was rather hesitant to sign up for my first swap, but found it almost addicting after a couple. Jump right in and sign up for one that interests you. Don't be concerned about the quality of your flies - everyone here started out in the same place.

Thank you gentlemen for the encouragement. I will keep my eye on the swaps board to try and enter a group. As i look around the forum I see my ties can hold there own with the exception of some of the guys on " from the vises". Some of them are just on a level, that is above my skills. I like this forum, and will continue to read and contribute when I can.

I entered my 1st swap last month as am new to tying. When I decided what to tie it took me several proto types to get one that I was happy with and would send to others. It was a very good learning experience. I was like you I wasn't sure as I was learning and not an experienced tyer. So like the others said watch the forum and when you see a/swap you want to enter jump in there.