Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wayne offord

Looking for a Mayfly pic

does anyone have a chart, or know where one is online - to show a size/color of different Mayflys? I live in south eastern Ontario, and I have been searching through google all day.

Since you already have the scientific name in that chart, it shouldn't be too hard to find images of the actual bugs just Google the scientific name. I have several in my files. They are from PA but they won't be all that different. Trout Nut will have most of these flies described with good pictures and sizes. You can visit that site and look up bugs by the scientific name or common name.

does anyone have a chart, or know where one is online - to show a size/color of different Mayflys? I live in south eastern Ontario, and I have been searching through google all day.

Do you want to look up mayfly info by name? e.g. Green Drake - color, size, distribution, season, matching patterns, etc...

Westfly has a great resource full of hatch information. Just select an insect and follow the links.

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/entomology/entomology.shtml

If you're looking for local hatch information, try local flyshops and their websites.

Here's a hatch chart for southern Ontario. The pictures show fly patterns, but the names are popular names for the insects. The chart shows the latin name, season, size, etc...

http://www.grindstoneangling.com/fishing/hatch.htm

If you cross reference those two sources, you'll find information on the specific insect, so you can relate bugs that you see to the patterns.

west fly is good if you are fishing out west, but for the east the flies are different same for the insects in size and color variations. you can check my website out for a lot of the colors and hatch times for here, which would be close to south east Ontario.