Fly Tying
Crackaig

February Flies from the Vice

Great work Bellevue. Will need stronger glasses to tie 22s. Smallest I have tied are #18 Griffiths gnats....

I have the same issues with taking photos.

G'day Retro,

I think easy and being rewarded wit ha fish is the best combo!

Is the body ribbed?

Cheers

VB1971

Hi VB1971,

Doesn't need rib as the body is UV'd

What I mean , is before the peacock herl is tied on a small amount of UV is applied to the thread base

Then the herl is wrapped forward short of the eye by two eyes length....whip finish for a neat head ....black dot for grub head.....small dab of UV then zap with UV torch done !!!!

P.S I think you did a great job on your flies.

Now that I have got the hang of this I have posed my first Goddard Caddis. Any advice on the amount of deer hair needed and shaping advice very welcome

Cheers

This was tied on #14 hook

Saw this and figured I would give it a try I used elk not deer but I think it came out ok any opinions?

post-52500-0-10066100-1423104220_thumb.jpg

Now that I have got the hang of this I have posed my first Goddard Caddis. Any advice on the amount of deer hair needed and shaping advice very welcome

Cheers

This was tied on #14 hook

Saw this and figured I would give it a try I used elk not deer but I think it came out ok any opinions?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Now that dog will hunt! Oops I meant that dog will fish!!! LOL...All kidding aside that looks great...You did a good job I think!!!

Hi CJ

I like it and will try it again with elk hair as the deer hair I have is slightly darker and not very representative of the caddis we have on our stream

The biggest challenge I have had in the three months tying is getting proportions right and NOT crowding front end of the hook so much that then I cant thread the line out in the field. I have found that consciously focusing on proportions as well as using my newly acquired "PEAK ROTARY" vice has improved my tying immensely.

Living in Australia it is hard to find some of the cool tools you have available in the USA (ie postage nearly always costs more than the actual tool!!!). I use my half hitch tool to pack the hair. Does any body else do this?

Cheers

VB1971

With only 38 days to go before the new trout season opens here its past time to re stock my boxes in the hope I might get some fishing done. Here's an unusual dozen. Unusual in that they are for me wink.png

My%20Box_0001_zpsjdvoye9o.jpg

A soft hackled Loch Ordie.

My%20Box_0002_zpsaddfnuhg.jpg

In the Highlands a Black Pennel with a dubbed black seal's fur body well picked out is a local variation that does well.

My%20Box_0003_zpsecepfy13.jpg

From late may the Hawthorn and Heather fly is a major trout food here. This is my wet fly for them.

My%20Box_0004_zpsrtcgkxgm.jpg

Cheers,

C.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150205_165900892.jpg

I have been working on lipped ep flies.

Looks great...I do have one question thought. What is the white tag in front on the hook eye and what is it for?

Lip. Like to make it dive, and wiggle. Like a crankbait or stick bait.