Fly Tying

This was tied on a size 2 jig hook. Large dumbell eyes, copper flash chenille, crazy legs for skirt, with two barred rabbit strips with foam on the ends for claws. Has a very nice jigging action.IMG_0034.MOVpost-48975-0-59420600-1422986372_thumb.jpg

cool motion, but the motion seems to be more like that of a frog than a crayfish. A crayfish uses its tail. I'd like to tie one like that in green to resemble a frog. I think a bass or crappie (or whatever) would go after that motion, even in pink!

P.S. where did you get the pattern? Is it on the web? or did you make it up?

i kinda just threw stuff together to resemble a jig n pig honestly... I'm gonna use this fly for a crayfish in defensive position, so slowly drag it along. I just wanted to show that it has a nice jiggy action as well. I can show a step by step if you want

James... don't go to a lot of trouble, but if you already have SBS, it would be great. If not, even pattern info (body material, tail, wings, etc.) would help.

James, that will certainly catch bass! IMO, one thing we often assume is that the fly or lure we use will imitate a particular prey. In this case crayfish.

Whether or not your fly will be eaten as a crayfish, only the fish know that. I've adopted the approach that doesn't matter as long as they will eat it. If you watch a real craw, it really doesn't look like the fly as it moves.

I used to attempt to tie crayfish patterns & include such details as the two claws or legs or even antennae. I found that these details usually didn't matter as far as the effectiveness of the fly was concerned, so I've simplified patterns that might be taken as crayfish. Your analogy to the jig & pig is the perfect example, and even though most anglers relate such a lure to a crayfish imitation, again it might represent a variety of things that bass (or other species) will eat, and that of course will include crayfish. I tie hair jigs for bass too, and some with rabbit strip tails. I like to experiment with various types of hair & combinations, but don't get too concerned about what they may actually imitate. The fish don't seem to mind & eat them too. I do the same with flies now. However, much of our tying is simply done for our own satisfaction, and that too can be important.

The movement of rabbit strips has been proven to be effective for enticing fish. If you take a look at most flies or even jigs that utilize rabbit strips, even a single length of strip makes them effective. It's the movement & action, and as FlaFly pointed out, that movement that your video clip shows could very well be that of frog, or other prey.

Keep doing what you're doing. If that's how you enjoy tying them, nothing wrong with it. That will certainly catch fish!

Hope you'll post more of your flies! smile.png

Start the thread on the jig hook and tie in eyes at the front. After that attach two rabbit strips to the hook. Then polymer your your polar chenille up the hook close to the bend. Then attach 6-7 sili legs to each side of the fly making sure to cover the hook all the way around. After that cover your thread warps up with a little more polar chenille and whip finish. Next, take your fly out of the vice and attach a small square of sheet foam to each of the rabbit strips.

The sky is the limit for color combinations!

post-48975-0-23337200-1423074086_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-68444000-1423074091_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-11759200-1423074098_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-31399400-1423074105_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-54351400-1423074110_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-12262200-1423074116_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-34640000-1423074121_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-54380400-1423074127_thumb.jpg

post-48975-0-61526500-1423074136_thumb.jpg