Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
carlp5351

Thing of Beauty

That really is a thing of beauty. I'm not going to enter into any debate over colour variations. What I do wonder is what you will tie with it? There are not many, if any, of the standard patterns that call for cree. I know you can use it for the Adams but does it give any advantage over the usual mixed grizzle and red game? I know there is the slight advantage of tying in one hackle rather than two, but for the few hundred Adams I tie each year that advantage has never outweighed the cost of cree. Also you loose the ability to adjust the mix of colours in the finished hackle.

I can only name one pattern that calls for cree specifically. However, the originator has dropped it from his tying recently. The CAM by Steve Thornton.

I ask this as I view tying materials purely from a practical "what can I tie with it" viewpoint. The collecting gene skipped by me without bothering to stop, or maybe I have just never had spare cash to splash out on collectables. I could create with such hackles, but I would not part with hard won cash for such a cape. All this begs the question, if they are not of much practical use, why are they considered so valuable? Sorry, lovely as it is, I don't get it.

Cheers,

C.

In reality it is a grizzly variant, but it is a very rare grizzly variant. I'm pretty sure Whiting farms knows what cree is. As far as what I'm going tie with it who knows. Even if I'm going to tie with it who knows. All I know is that I've wanted one so I bought it to add to my collection of tying materials.

Carlp

I'm with you. It's a beautiful color and I can tie anything I want with it. I do use it on the Adams for simplicity but it looks good on a lot of other ties too, and looks good laying there next to the bench. I'm not as conscious of practicality of usage as Crackaig but he ties to make money and I only tie to amuse myself and maybe catch a fish or two. I like the use the Cree for parachutes too since it just looks good over the top of a fly.

Personally, I think the only reason there are not a lot more flies calling for cree is there is not that much of it around. If cree capes and saddles were laying around on everyone's bench then there would be more flies being ties around the color.

The Rapidan Dry a Fly has a moose hair tail, fly rite dubbed body, calf tail wing, and a cree hackle, as shown in an app I have.

Carl. There is a Finnish dryfly called Nalle puh = winnie the poo in english. The national fly of Finland, it uses 3 hackles, a high floating fly, good for turbulant waters too. Davie mcphail tied it a few years ago. I think you should have a look!