Fly Tying

I have never used this but thinking of getting some. Is it true that it can damage the rod rings? With it being so thin and strong! Also which is the best way off attaching it to fly line if the above is not true? Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

I use a loop to loop connection with a very large loop in the backing so the reel can pass through the loop. This enables you to change fly lines without pulling 100 feet of line or 200 yards of backing through the loop. I use a bimini twist to make the loop due to its strength and smooth transition.

There are a lot of "depends on" in your question. Do you really have a problem with backing having a chance to regularly saw at your guides? I you do you're a lucky man or a saltwater fisherman. If you really have a lot of time with your backing running in and out of the guides, YES it will cause grooving in the guides. That's why bass rods today will come with a version of silicone carbide rings today. The old chrome rings were quickly cut thru by the combination of braided line qualities, i.e. strength per diameter, roughness inherent in product, and lack of any success.

Another problem going to say a 20# braid as backing and you do run down into that backing, as you reel that line with a combination of the surge and give of a fish you're piling that line on unevenly and unless your reel is different than most you don't have a level wind. What's happening when a fish is surging hard is he's pulling that line down two or three wraps into the uneven and loose line below it. This is something that was and still is a problem in many fishing situations like flipping at moderate distances where a strong fish can pull loosened line down in spool and bind it up. We have to make sure our line is tight on spool or this can happen.

Also, if you use braid, always start the line at the spool with several tight wraps of monofilament or regular backing since the lack of stretch of braid can get you part way down into backing and suddenly the entire clump of line left starts to spin on the shaft. These reasons, all real and proven to me in the years of bass fishing the braids, would keep me from using it for backing, but if you need that extra length in backing do it, but keep these things in mind and keep line tight on reel at all times and use the system of winding even touching rows on one way, then 3 spaced rows angled over top coming back. This will help the line dig in by stopping it at one row down.

Although I don't get into the backing, I do use braid fishing line. As Vic said, yes, if you're constantly reeling in line, like on conventional gear, you can get damage to chrome guides. If you're getting into the backing rarely, or just using it as filler, then a few times through the guides is not going to be a problem.

To keep the line from spinning on the reel:

After tying on the line to the reel, put a small piece of surgical tape (the cloth tape) or a cut off piece of cloth band aid over the knot. Reel on the first layer of line carefully covering the tape tightly. If done this way, the line will never slip unless you get all the way down to the knot. I've done this for a decade on my baitcaster reels and it works.

The fact that you can run 200 yards of braid in the same space as 100 yards of thicker backing is a plus that's hard to ignore ... if you do, indeed, ever need that much running line.

i always chuckle when i see, "spool on 100-200m of backing"; without consideration of what species you are targeting.

Art ... I actually use backing just as a filler. I want one rotation of the reel to take in as much line as possible. That is only accomplished if you have the completely spooled fly line almost to the outer edge. The closer to the center of the reel, the less line is brought in per rotation.

I use braid just because I have quite a few spools of it lying around for my conventional gear.

But, imagine you have a 20 pound carp pick up your bluegill offering. I'd much rather have too much backing on than to lose all my fly line when the fish got to the end of the backing.

I have heard that if you get into a hot running fish and you get against that GSP backing you may well expect a cut at the contact point. I have no reels with it as backing. I always use Dacron. It is also more expensive but you can sure get a lot more on a reel than you can with Dacron

I have heard of surf casters with spinning reels cut the tip of a finger off. Making a hard cast, trying for distance, and the drag setting is too light, allowing the weight to pull a few feet of line across the finger holding the line.

There's several pictures online of cut fingers from trying to break braid off by wrapping it around the hand and pulling.

I am sure it can happen. I've had mono cut me doing that ... and braid is so much stronger, thinner and rougher.

Yes, it is possible to cut fingers with any braided line. I use 50lb GSP on both my spey reels (both have seen the backing regularly in bigger rivers out west), I haven't had issues with the line overlapping and I'm using a very wide spool reel, it doesn't tend to dig in much but that's most likely because it's on the heavier side. As for it cutting into your guides I'm sure it can but I haven't had any problems yet.

I always get a kick out of guys thinking that they need these huge amounts of backing. Do people realize that 200 yds is two football fields away? I have landed a number of 20 lb Lake Ontario salmon on a fly rod and even in the Oswego River never had one get more than 200 ft from me. Yes, I do realize that some saltwater fish can really take it off a reel but how many of us are going to fish for swordfish or marlin on a fly rod?

Steve

Better to have 200 yards on and only need 200 feet, than to have 200 feet on and need 250.

Since it's no big deal (weight or monetarily speaking) to have extra line on, why argue against it?

Better to have 200 yards on and only need 200 feet, than to have 200 feet on and need 250.

Since it's no big deal (weight or monetarily speaking) to have extra line on, why argue against it?

Agreed. I never get into backing but like you said above, make sure to use enough to fill the spool when the line is added. If that is 100 yards, great, if it is more that's fine. On the one reel I have for fish that might really get me into my backing I did gel spun. Don't stress about it, but again make sure to fill the spool not because I think I'll need that much backing, but because I want the spool filled. Don't get the arguing against it either.

I always get a kick out of guys thinking that they need these huge amounts of backing. Do people realize that 200 yds is two football fields away? I have landed a number of 20 lb Lake Ontario salmon on a fly rod and even in the Oswego River never had one get more than 200 ft from me. Yes, I do realize that some saltwater fish can really take it off a reel but how many of us are going to fish for swordfish or marlin on a fly rod?

Steve

My larger spey reel (guru 4 with 30ft head, 200yrds running line and another 250 of GSP was spooled down to about halfway into the backing once, I was lucky I was able to get into a slow pool otherwise I'm sure the fish could have taken me further in the current. Again, better to have it and not need it...

i could only pray for the day that i don't have enough backing.

Art ... I actually use backing just as a filler. I want one rotation of the reel to take in as much line as possible.

But, imagine you have a 20 pound carp pick up your bluegill offering. I'd much rather have too much backing on than to lose all my fly line when the fish got to the end of the backing.

once one starts to reel in fly line the spool fills up quickly, hence faster line pick-up. if one gets that far into the backing, line pick-up becomes a moot issue; unless you are using a larger arbor reel.

i would be more fearful of my rod blowing up then getting spooled by a large fish. the end solution for me.....straighten the rod out and break off the fly at the tippet. i actually watched a guy get spooled on his 6wt by a Chinook. he just sat there like a deer in the headlights watching his line spool. he didn't move until the end of line went out the top guide.

Steve

My larger spey reel (guru 4 with 30ft head, 200yrds running line and another 250 of GSP was spooled down to about halfway into the backing once, I was lucky I was able to get into a slow pool otherwise I'm sure the fish could have taken me further in the current. Again, better to have it and not need it...

we live in the same part of the world. what river did this happen on? east or west trib?