Fly Tying
despatiesim

substitute to egg yarn for steelhead flies?

Tell me folks, do you weight your eggs?

Simon

Only when making a Victoria Sponge cake!

Cheers,

C.

Those otter eggs are very cool indeed!

Thanks for the feedback. I already plan to put split shot on the line to get it down. Was wondering about wrapping directly onto the fly under the thread. My trip has been put off a bit, which should give me enough time to tie some of both weighted and un weighted.

thanks!

Simon

Thanks for the feedback. I already plan to put split shot on the line to get it down. Was wondering about wrapping directly onto the fly under the thread. My trip has been put off a bit, which should give me enough time to tie some of both weighted and un weighted.

thanks!

Simon

If you used egg yarn, I think you would have trouble with lead wrapped underneath.

For a weighted egg, tied with chenille, Google "Gorman egg fly". He does use egg yarn for the veil, but you could leave that off.

I've been known to put a bead on a estaz framus pattern. I usually will use them in deeper and/or faster water other than that I usually will go unweighted. A crystal meth pattern seems to sink pretty good for me too when I don't want a bead egg pattern.

So you think the lead wraps will interfere with spinning the yarn or foam?

thanks!

Simon

If you used egg yarn, I think you would have trouble with lead wrapped underneath.

For a weighted egg, tied with chenille, Google "Gorman egg fly". He does use egg yarn for the veil, but you could leave that off.

i think the lead would create problems.

your best bet is to tie one of each; see how they tie up, and then check the sink rate in a sink or bowl. remember that any fly that you don't like can be fixed with a razor blade!

It takes a lot of tension to flair the egg yarn. I think lead wraps being pretty soft could separate. I also think that the thickness would interfere with getting the distribution and coverage you want. But, I haven't actually tried it.

It takes a lot of tension to flair the egg yarn. I think lead wraps being pretty soft could separate. I also think that the thickness would interfere with getting the distribution and coverage you want. But, I haven't actually tried it.

i was thinking the same thing. i've stripped a lot of hooks because the yarn didn't pop all the way around.

Could you use wool, like making a wool head? Just trim it round, much like the woolhead sculpin

Could you use wool, like making a wool head? Just trim it round, much like the woolhead sculpin

I'm not sure, it think it depends on how the material is manufactured. Ive never made an egg out of wool, I'd be interested in how it handles water.