Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BlueEyedSon

Polarized Lenses for over glasses ...

I wear prescription glasses. While I have a pair of polarized prescription glasses I wear while fishing or driving, I'm interested in finding a pair of polarized glasses that I can wear of my regular glasses. I know they make some that are designed to fit over a pair of glasses, but I'm not sure about whether some are better than others. Any suggestions?

I have used Coccoons and Fit Overs, they seem to be about the same as far as the lenses, The only difference was in the frames, the cheaper ones had a frame that seemed somewhat more brittle. I usually get the cheaper ones as I seem to loose them before they break, anyway.

The pair of glasses I am wearing now have little magnets at the temples. The polarized lenses attach on the magnets. The come as a set ... I am waiting for the company to offer different colors, amber being the only one with this design.

Walmart.

The wraparounds wiork best for me. No sunlight gets past them. Put them on an over the head lanyard so you can drop them hands free for tying on' pocket lint' flies, doing knots right etc...

BassPro has nice ones that are affordable.

Rocco

A bit off subject, but I feel compelled to share a warning. I have prescription regular glasses and dark/polarize glasses. A couple of years ago I fell into the water, wearing my dark glasses. No safety lanyard. So the glasses disappeared underwater. An expensive oversight...... now I insist on using a glasses lanyard when I'm near the water.

Cocoon Fitovers come in different sizes and lense colors and includes a lanyard and a case. About $50 and the best solution I've found so far sort of getting a pair of prescription polarized glasses.

I gave up on prescription fly fishing glasses due to the cost of replacement every few years. They were great though. For the past five years I've used a pair of Cocoons and have been happy with the performance.

I've been using Cocoons for several years now. Have three pairs to suit the conditions, yellow, amber and gray. As whatfly said they come in different sizes. I would suggest if they carry them at your local fly shop, to try the different sizes to see which size fits over your glasses. I just buy the X-Large size which will fit over the frames I have or will have in the future quite comfortably. Another thing I do is black over the lens colored area on the wrap around part.