Fly Tying
flytire

scissors for fly tying

Not married! It's a defacto relationship, more than 10 years already, maybe thats the secret? :-) But 2 hours in 3 different shops looking at mats & not deciding or bying anything seems like a waste of time to me! Thats why i went to look at scissors! :-)

Fiskars used to make fly tying scissors in Wausau, WI where they had a factory and design center. Now that was moved to Mexico and then to China. These fly tying scissors are 4' long with fine tips.

I stIll use my original pair from the 1970s and I have 3 new in the package. A photo of one of the packages is below to prove that Fiskars once made fly tying scissors.

TyingScissors.jpg

Fiskars still sells are 4" forged embroidery scissors and 4" detail scissors. The embroidery scissors have fine pointed tips for fly tying.

71JzNIbLD7L._SX522_.jpg

Embroidery scissors are $9 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Inch-Forged-Embroidery-Scissors/dp/B00114R6DS

711vcrdHfRL._SX522_.jpg

The only problem I have with Fiskars' current scissors is the size of the loops. They are just not big enough for me to use conveniently. Fiskars are missing a trick not producing scissors, and other tools, for tying. They make some very high quality punches. They could do them in useful sizes and shapes for tiers, but wont.

Cheers,

C.

The only problem I have with Fiskars' current scissors is the size of the loops. They are just not big enough for me to use conveniently. Fiskars are missing a trick not producing scissors, and other tools, for tying. They make some very high quality punches. They could do them in useful sizes and shapes for tiers, but wont.

Cheers,

C.

The fly tying market is not large enough for Fiskars.

One of my best friends owned Weinbrenner Boot company which made the Gary Borger wading boots. A production run of the wading boot would be about 2000 prs of boots. A normal production run for them was 20,000 - 50,000 boots. The only reason the company made boots was because the owner was a fly fisher. Once he retired and sold the company, the new owners stopped production. Too much effort for not much profit.