Fly Tying
vicrider

Monthly swap pics...bass month

First, to the loyal monthly swappers, I'm sorry if I mixed up some flies or even boxes. You'd think I'd have this under control but somehow I manage to get all done and something is wrong. This time I gypped someone out of one of my flies but thru in some extras and will tie a few more for myself and send one next swap. Another problem was Sucrets box wouldn't cut it for this swap so some flies are loose in there with a sandwich bag. Anyway, a great bunch of flies and if a person fishes bass he's got good choices, plus any carnivorous fish should be delighted to munch on these.

A great orange slider by Bambudday

DSC01044_zpsa3ix7sun.jpg

Streamer from Joseph Russell that should call pike to the hook also

DSC01046_zpsoltilmpf.jpg

J-Kno's Double Bunny for max action

DSC01047_zpseglsmcdu.jpg

Kennebec has graced us with a double hitter Bunny and Bugger

DSC01048_zpspltcw1xs.jpg

Border Collies has the baseball players favorite ugly girl, the Slumpbuster

DSC01050_zpsn0rqpk5g.jpg

Breambuster has a slightly smaller version of our skipping shad fly

DSC01051_zpsmlz9vmed.jpg

My slight bigger version of same

DSC01049_zpsf5i5smbz.jpg

MichaelRay has some great streamers. Don't get excited about getting two but showing a couple of different colors he used

DSC01053_zpssyttrbim.jpg

Crackleback has the fantastic deer hair diver with hair packed tighter than I've ever seen

DSC01054_zpschikijm7.jpg

djtrout had a great articulated minnow that should swim like it wants to get eaten

DSC01055_zpsrlhzbn6z.jpg

BassBugn has a beautiful Firetiger minnow that should be especially deadly around bluegill spawn beds

DSC01058_zpse67ofizh.jpg

Add147 has a Red Eye Pheasant worth a profile and top shot

DSC01056_zpsjnozfm7v.jpg

DSC01057_zps0gmamhxm.jpg

And Jolly Red has Balsa Minnow that sure reminds me of the original foil Rapalas

DSC01052_zpsdyl9sllu.jpg

Come on mail man...Hurry Hurry Hurry!!! Some GREAT looking flies everyone and since largemouth bass are everywhere here in East Texas they ought to do very well.

Caught a 15in large mouth on my P+O leech and a 20in smallmouth on an orange version on Sunday, so hopefully it produces as well for you guys.

wow that is one awesome set of flies! I'm highly jealous. Any chance you can post a head on pic of the orange slider? Is the head only tied on at the rear, or is it held on at the head of the fly sone how?

That first one looks more like a Flatfish than a slider. All those look like fish catching machines.

Thank you for posting the pictures, Vic. I am highly impressed by the quality in this swap group.

I am now hoping to spend enough time home this summer to get into one.

post-53186-0-02771600-1430873621_thumb.jpg post-53186-0-16923800-1430873622_thumb.jpg

Not to bad for a guy who doesn't bass fish. The smallmouth was a good size fish but lacked muscle tone and didn't put up much fight, had a pretty serious black grub infestation, though it did maul the fly pretty good. I guess I'll have to tie up a few more of the fly to keep on hand, should I find myself in bass waters again.

Gadfry! talk about raising the bar ... niiiice collection.

Don't need to tie any flies for my bass season, which is now underway (soon as I finish painting deck, deck furniture, planting the tomatos, squash, and pumpkins ...).

That slider will be very versatile. I want to try that on my favorite big trout streams.

Can't wait.

wow that is one awesome set of flies! I'm highly jealous. Any chance you can post a head on pic of the orange slider? Is the head only tied on at the rear, or is it held on at the head of the fly sone how?

Maybe Bambudday can chime in here but I can't take a pic and apologize for forgetting about your query. When I said I mixed up a couple of packages it turned out when I got to the end I had to put my copy into that box. I know I counted 12 before I distributed but I either sent him his own back or someone got lucky and got two. Anyway, looking at pic and trying to remember I believe it was just stuck thru in front. Actually, if Bambudday sees this I'd love to see his pattern SBS on this. It sure like a fun one to fish.

Vicrider nice pictures of some talented work. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have any suggestions for swap shipping containers for larger flies? As you mentioned a Sucrets box was too small.

I am a SM on one of the current swaps taking place and one of the tiers used an old VHS plastic case. Might be able to run across one at a garage sale.

I am a SM on one of the current swaps taking place and one of the tiers used an old VHS plastic case. Might be able to run across one at a garage sale.

Never thought to use those, thanks for the timley tip.