Fly Tying
vicrider

Mayflies are up for May's flies

Been reading about a lot of hatches bringing fish up for the trout guys so let's get going on this month's swap. Have a request to list the fly you'll be tying if you have a particular pattern you're using. Like I mentioned in the original swap page if you can do it let's see some wings on these flies if you can handle it. Don't get frustrated if wings don't work for since it's long been proven wingless flies can catch plenty of fish. I took the easy route and used hackle tip wings. I can also handle Mallard flank feather wings, calf tail wings, and even Wally Wings but I just can't get the beautiful wing feather wings some are able to do.

Vicrider.................quill gordon with all grizzly hackle, tail, body quill and wings. Size 16 ...ready

1. Add147...............................................................................received

2. Joseph Russell...detached body Mayfly.............................received

3. Jolly Red............Classic March Brown................................received

4. J-Kno..................................................................................received

5. Crackleback.........................................................................received

6. Michael Ray.......Rusty CDC Spinner...................................received

7 .Breambuster.....BB will catch up with us next month or so

8. djtrout................CDC March Brown.....................................received

9. Bassbugn.............................................................................received

10. border collies..received beautiful wally wing spent flies......received

11. kennebec12.......................................................................received

12. Bambudday........................................................................received.

These are types of wings I can do...

Mallard Flank wings...

DSC01039_zpsktx2pi4u.jpg

Single feather Wally Wings...

DSC00958_zps5flawudl.jpg

Hairwings, tail and wings one bunch of calf tail...

DSC00804_zps3ba4389a.jpg

And the easiest, hackle tip wings...

DSC00796_zps2271a5be.jpg

I've always thought wally wings were an elegant dressing.

I will be tying a CDC March Brown in size 12 with CDC hackle.

I'm going to tie up some red quills size 16. One of my favorites for late May and early June on the small rivers.

joseph russell those extended bodies can be tough, about the only fly I bother to tie them for is the green drake, not so bad when tying for a size 10 or 12 hook.

Well the first set of flies showed up today from Border Collies. These are about the nicest flies with wally wings I've seen. Great consistency. His being first are going to be a tough act to follow. I'm fine with my contribution but not near as nice as his. Very fishable tho.

As for the date for flies being the 21st, guess we'll give up on that idea. Thought it might make it possible to get back during the month of the swap but people, including me, think only of the monthly swap, not dates, so we'll not worry about dates but let's get them during the month of the swap if at all possible and I'll get them back ASAP.

Speaking of getting them in during the month, I sent mine off this morning. I'll give myself a gold star for being on time,