Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RogueFlies

Popper Heads

I was wandering if anyone on here has found a good and good priced source for foam popper heads? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ok...so.. I almost left this response

"define 'good'. Everyone's always looking for cheaper faster ... better... so..?"

But all I got is Waspi foam, pre-formed popper heads. Gotta google to find the 'best' deals.

I rather like spinning balsa for mine.

ok...so.. I almost left this response

"define 'good'. Everyone's always looking for cheaper faster ... better... so..?"

But all I got is Waspi foam, pre-formed popper heads. Gotta google to find the 'best' deals.

I rather like spinning balsa for mine.

I've seen the wapsi ones, I should have been more specific. I guess I'm looking for more of like a bulk type deal where you get 50 or 100 popper. None of the shops nearby sell any and I don't want to pay shipping and handling multiple times a year haha, I'm a broke college kid.

Corks? I've seen and used a few in the past. They seem to come in different sized tappered sizes. I know you can spend a lot of time filling and such, but you really don't 'have' to.

I've seen them in crafty stores like(but not limited to) Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc...

Corks? I've seen and used a few in the past. They seem to come in different sized tappered sizes. I know you can spend a lot of time filling and such, but you really don't 'have' to.

I've seen them in crafty stores like(but not limited to) Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc...

I've heard about cork, I've never dabbled too much, I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them a shot. And I didn't think about checking craft stores. Thanks for the help

I'm pretty sure that you do not have to 'dish' the front face of the cork as I've just used then 'as is', with the exception of slotting them for a hook, and painted them and coated and tied .. then used.... and they worked just fine - popped alright... and caught FISH!

This subject comes up a few times a year, it seems.

You don't specify what you're tying for?

Looking for show piece quality flies, painted pretty for fishermen? Or are you tying to fish?

If you're tying to fish ... look into the flip flop foam poppers. It's all I use, since I am only tying to fish.

I can get cork at my local hardware store in good sizes, but don't buy them. They're pretty rough and to make a nice looking popper you'd have to fill them which I think would detract from the buoyancy as I don't know that filler will float.

I use flip-flop, but I still have some hard-bodied poppers I bought a long time ago. They aren't cheap, though. The cost of 100 will set you back, whereas you can get a few hundred out of a $1 pair of flip flops.

I bought a bag of 50 or so corks from Jo-Ann Fabrics over the winter and made them into simple little poppers. I didn't use any cork filler. I just sliced them flat along one side, slotted them for the hook, glued them on, decorated them with cheap acrylic hobby paint and/or permanent markers, added a few feathers, rubber legs, etc.and coated them with Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails. They're just about the only poppers I've used so far this season and they've been catching fish just fine. Easy, cheap and fun--that's a hard combo to beat. :)

Thanks for all the replies, I saw something about using flip flops, I haven't watched the video yet, but I do need to. I'm tying to fish, as long as it looks good enough to fish to eat, that's all I need haha.

For your purposes, RogueFlies, flip flop poppers does sound like a good option.

You just need a punch in the appropriate size or sizes.

As I said on the flip flop popper thread, I don't use punches and don't insist on round-bodies poppers. I cut them out with a razor blade.

If you like the WAPSI popper heads, you may try asking your fly shop if they can special order 100 heads. I did it with my local shop to get 100 of their long Lightning Strike hooks and 100 of the #6 size heads.

Of course, all of the other options thrown out there are good ones with several being pretty cheap, just thought I'd throw this idea out if you have a fondness for using those WAPSI heads like many folks do.

If you like the WAPSI popper heads, you may try asking your fly shop if they can special order 100 heads. I did it with my local shop to get 100 of their long Lightning Strike hooks and 100 of the #6 size heads.

Of course, all of the other options thrown out there are good ones with several being pretty cheap, just thought I'd throw this idea out if you have a fondness for using those WAPSI heads like many folks do.

Another user on here contacted me sayin he could get me a 100 pack, I figured I'll order a small pack first to see how I like em

It's all good! Don't over think the issue. Any material that will float well and is tough enough to withstand the punishment required will work. Making them pretty is another subject. Pretty catches fishermen but mostly the fish don't really care. Cork and balsa both can make very durable poppers if properly constructed. Foam is also a good material. Styrofoam is not a great material. It is too soft and not very durable.