Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
branden_fritzemeier_67

Anyone know how to tie Wilson's Brim Reaper???

7R54-2.jpg

bead chain eyes

furled rubber leg tail

wire rib

dubbed body

some sort of rubber hackle or long estaz swept back

dubbed thorax

maybe this for the hackle

Fly%20Tying_Fly%20Tying%20Materials_Chen

or

mfc rubber hackle

EvoMagento-FF013355_2.jpg

flytire, I cannot figure out how you guys furl a tail like this and keep it from unfurling. Sure, it's easy to twist material up like that but nothing I do short of super glue and stiff tail holds together for me. I'd love to make a tail like the fly you pictured. How do you do it?

Vic, you twist the material, and let it furl up. Make it longer that you'll need, and tie it off. This will keep it furled until you've tied it in, then you trim off the extra.

On the right hand side, you'll see 6 tails ready to tie on.

You twist up the single strand of rubber and after you have twisted the single strand you then double over the single strand and slowly release the doubled end and hold tight the two loose ends and it will furl. It works with chenille too or any single strand of material.

try a test piece first.

cut off 6 inches of whatever material

clamp one end in your vise and the other end in a hackle plier

hold the hackle plier horizontally to extend the material and then rotate the vise to tighten the material into a rope.

as the rope tightens up, you can move your hackle plier hand back toward the vise. the material will furl back on itself. no need to hold the material

the tighter the material is twisted the tighter the furl will be

Okay, thanx a lot flytire and others. I'll be giving it a try in a little bit. Will check the vids and watch them, then see if I can make it work. Have tried twisting things into something like the pic but then they just untwist when I let them go. We'll see if I can make it work this time.

Vic,

You can't let it go. Either tie a knot in the loose ends, or clamp it in your hackle pliers, or hold it until you can get it tied in.

Some of the fuzzier materials *may* have enough "sticktion" to stay furled when you let go, but I wouldn't count on it.

Kirk

They use Senyo's Shaggy dub not some sort of rubber hackle or long estaz swept back. My fly fishing club had the Wilsons' as guest speakers and Terry tied one of these up for me.

Flytire and others. Thank you. I'd tried doing some dragon flies with the furled tail like some I'd got in swaps but could never get the furl to stay. I've been trying to twist two materials over each other. DUH... Now I see how simple it can be and like so many things just needed to grasp the concept. Twisting two pieces of anything together just doesn't work. Now in one of flytire's videos the guy furls two pieces but furls them treating them as a single piece. Life can be so simple with a kick in the right direction.

I am lazy and tie one end of the material on the hook shank.

Then twist the material. Fold to let furl and then tie in.

That way I don't have to hold it, drop it ect.

Rick

Thata boy Rick!! I left that out of my description. Simple stuff and the first fly shown is absolutely the correct color...Yallar....:)