Fly Tying

bike fishing has been overruled by boat fishing for the time being, lol.

now that i have a kick boat, i need some sorta trailer for my bike. a BOB trailer would be nice as it is great for single track trails, but is pricey. i'll probably end up with converted kid's trailer, as one of these can be had at a fraction of the price.

until then; i'll use local transit to get to the ponds with my boat.

I am building a small trailer for toting my gear .... It's kinda a " b. O. B " but a golf cart ,,,, I am making it so I don't have to catch my leg upon dismount .... An o got a lil raft ( inflatable ) .... So in this trailer I have to make it strong enuff , to tote camping gear fishing gear ... That why I started this thread ,,,, thank for all the good info

Update: Due to the lack of a better option im biking north to the closest descent troutwater in my area, which is 76k north. Should take four hours according to google maps, so im setting out on friday afternoon so i can get maximum hours under the sun on saturday. We just switched to winter time here so the sun sets really early >.<

Update: Due to the lack of a better option im biking north to the closest descent troutwater in my area, which is 76k north. Should take four hours according to google maps, so im setting out on friday afternoon so i can get maximum hours under the sun on saturday. We just switched to winter time here so the sun sets really early >.<

oh to be young again...... have fun!!

Bulb ... that's not "bike fishing" ... that's Biking, period.

If I was to ride a bike for four hours, I'd need the next two days to ease the rashes on my ...

And I'd be in no shape to wade any water.

Good luck to you ... I hope the weekend turns out to be everything you hope for.

About 47-1/2 miles. Before my knee went out on me I could do that over two days, riding a couple of hours each day and not be dead. When I first started riding a few years ago, no way !! But right now I await knee surgery ( not related to biking). In today's US health care state, I have to wait till Jan for that to happen and it's taken over two months to get to that conclusion. 38 years ago or so I had knee surgery, saw the doc on Mon, Thurs I was on the slab getting sliced and diced, no MRI's or all the fancy equipment of today that costs millions of dollars.. He shoved his fingers under each side of the knee cap, gave a yank and said, you need surgery, 7 weeks later I was recovered.. Today with all the get up, insurances, and breaks Docs take for holidays it's taken two months just to come to the conclusion that I need surgery and another 3 months almost till I get it !! And then I will start recovery. What a load of crap. And my prediction, it's going to get worse..

Sounds rough Dave, hope you get your knee sorted!! I've had surgery on both eyes, but the procedure was a breeze compared to fixing a knee. Must be a pain to sit around waiting :/

Ok mikechell i know its a bit extreme but im dying for some propper flyfishing for trout & grayling :D

Its only a one hour drive so the plan is to get my licence by christmas and buy myself a car. At 21 i should've done that three years ago but hey back then fishing trips wasn't a priority.

i'm interested in what you are riding (bike), what all you are taking (camping gear/fishing gear), how you are hauling it all (trailer/panniers), and what is your ride going to be like (hilly/flat).

Ok mikechell i know its a bit extreme but im dying for some propper flyfishing for trout & grayling biggrin.png

Oh, I fully understand the extremes we'll go through to get some good fishing in. Again, good luck on the weekend.

Thanks a bunch mike! Only my dad is that understanding about flyfishing.

Artimus i could post a picture or two of my setup for the weekend if you want, as for the bike im a student in a city meant for biking so i'll just take my regular bike. Its an apollo city bike with 21 gears, gets me from point a to b.

Back when I was a MUCH younger man ... I would bike or hike to fishing/camping sites. I carried everything I needed in and strapped to a backpack. But then, I think the longest trip I ever biked was about 15 miles.

For bike fishing I use my Specialized Crosstrail bike that I outfitted with Armadillo Kevlar road tires. It has a Planet Bike rack on the back and I have baskets that clamp on to that

and a PVC rod holder on one of those. Everything just attaches with stainless hose clamps to the baskets and the baskets to the rack. The rack is bolted to the bike. I outfitted the bike with ram horn style touring handle bars additionally, giving me more hand positions. I probably wouldn't buy another bike with a front shock system but since it has it I do enjoy the comfort, it just adds a little weight that could be used for something else... This bike has regular platform pedals. I have a second set of rims for this bike with fatter tires if I think I might be getting into dirt roads which is rare around here.

-

For bike riding exclusively I have a Specialized Sectuer road bike. All this bike has is a little mini bag that velcros on to the seat post and up to the seat rails. Big enough for a few bike tools and a box of raisins or other packaged snack. Both bikes have bottle holders, I have to stay hydrated or I will crash. Hydration and something like raisins are perfect for me. The road bike has combo pedals on it, I can use clip in shoes on one side of them or platform on the other. I much prefer the clip in. Again, bike riding exclusive, You wouldn't be fishing in shoes with clips on the bottom LOL.

The blown knee interrupts the whole shebang though ! It ended my salt water fishing for this fall ( that is done by bike) and has limited my fresh water fly fishing quite a bit, not able to get to my best spots that I often wade to and it kills my ambition to launch the boat to get to the way out spots.. Besides that biking is my main form of exercise for heart and weight concerns. By riding bike over the last 6 or 7 years I've reduced blood pressure meds by half and keep the weight within decent limits. Nothing like good vigorous riding to cut fat and especially with clips you gain core strength as well as you can power on both the down and up strokes and once good at it power on a full 360 deg of pedal rotation. Platform pedals are good for just the down stroke, missing a lot of energy output that way..