Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
epzamora

Some trout flies I've tied recently

I'm relatively new to this forum, and fly tying in general. Though I tied some flies 6-8 years for a season of LMB and striper fishing (clousers and streamers with plastic wiggle tails), i've not tied flies since then. That is until this past spring when i bought a new vise and planned a trip to the eastern sierra with some buddies back in june. I churned these out like mad trying to learn and often times making up stuff as I went along. Usually I didn't have the "correct" material on hand.

Many of the flies I see posted here are exquisite. I'm far from being good, but it was fun. Strangely enough, I stopped tying after that trip. Just haven't had an urge, which is in contrast to the feverish video-watching and tying I was doing.

Here are a few, tied on 14, 16 and 18 hooks. Please be kind smile.png

eric

fresno, ca.

Fly01_zps6uxmn24y.jpg

Fly05_zpsctqcjnwt.jpg

Fly06_zpsoaqvogvg.jpg

Fly03_zpsqe9inia8.jpg

Fly08_zps4drbniot.jpg

Fly07_zpsguprumvt.jpg

Fly02_zpsqgc6w0d9.jpg

Fly10_zpsz47p9nrr.jpg

Fly12_zpsfmlkghkx.jpg

it's painful to see how "off" they are under macro photography! but i imagine they'll catch feesh.

eric

fresno, ca.

"Off"? Not at all. Those are good looking flies -- better than what I find at a lot of fly shops. You will certainly catch fish on them!

Thanks again everyone. I haven't had a chance to really try any of them but I did tie up some Usuals (fran betters) and a buddy and i used them and tons of grabs from small fish. He landed a couple nice ones from a small stream, his first catching with a dry fly.

That fly using elk hair and CDC, i see now that i used a little too little CDC. Next time, mas!

-eric

fresno, ca.