Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cariboo87

Picked up this neat rod in a trade

No idea here, but that grip looks unused... either it was never used or the grip has been replaced.

No idea here, but that grip looks unused... either it was never used or the grip has been replaced.

I asked the guy about it, said it was his grandfathers and as far as he knows nothing was ever replaced

at some point he also has some hardy reels for me

Try the Classic Fly Rod Forum.

The guides, as much as I can enlarge them, look something like spinning rod guides to me. The guide number and spacing also looks odd for a fly rod.

Rocco

Try the Classic Fly Rod Forum.

The guides, as much as I can enlarge them, look something like spinning rod guides to me. The guide number and spacing also looks odd for a fly rod.

Rocco

I agree, four guides plus a tip top?

With that overly long cork grip, it appears you've got the world's shortest Spey rod.

"at some point he also has some hardy reels for me"

Caveat emptor.

Something's dodgy here, along with the pop-up that comes with the external link.

Yes, definitely a spinning rod, but it looks like a quality one. Those high-end ferrules.

Hey Hatchet Jack, you may get a prize. Look at this video of a Martinez & Bird spey rod. Same reel seat??

Yeeaaahhhh ... I am thinking one didn't fish for a whole day with that rod. Half an hour ... fish or not, you're done.

I am also thinking that anything less than a 4 foot shark and you'd just snatch the fish out of the water on the hook set.

But wow !!! Think of the size flies you could heave with that rod !!! Use a whole Baby Seal to tie a Baby Seal Fly for Great Whites ... COOL !!!