Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Classic style 2wt fiberglass

kgltvF.jpg
J3jwJn.jpg
qp4sr8.jpg
Fwgszj.jpg
BMrCEi.jpg

Here's a real sweetheart of a little rod. This is a little 6'6" 2wt fiberglass headed to the West coast today. Wood seat chose for it's yellowish color to match the blank, nickle silver seat hardware, custom burl accent grip, gold thread no CP with teal blue trim wraps, a classic style stripper and snake guides round it out.

Nice build of course as all your builds are, and some old rods were that color, no complaint there. However, when I think of classic glass rods and being from the era of glass rods, I think of more exposed thread wraps. The old rods you could see the thread strands under the coating, almost feel it. It was probably just varnished over or lacquered and certainly not coated in epoxy. But I suppose you went semi retro ! It's beautiful anyway !

Dave the type of wraps you are thinking were mostly either varnish or sometimes permagloss coated. They don't offer any UV protection and that's why so many old glass rods need to be rewrapped after a few years of use. The new 2 part finishes are a much better product than the finish of the old days. Unless of course it were a bamboo rod, then you would want to use permagloss or something so it didn't round out the hex of the blank.

Swamp fly- Just a line of glass blanks I have been getting from one of the blank suppliers for the past couple years. Nice smooth full flex action to them.

Dave the type of wraps you are thinking were mostly either varnish or sometimes permagloss coated. They don't offer any UV protection and that's why so many old glass rods need to be rewrapped after a few years of use. The new 2 part finishes are a much better product than the finish of the old days. Unless of course it were a bamboo rod, then you would want to use permagloss or something so it didn't round out the hex of the blank.

Swamp fly- Just a line of glass blanks I have been getting from one of the blank suppliers for the past couple years. Nice smooth full flex action to them.

Ya I get it, thanks Steve ! Not diminishing your build by any stretch incidentally, it's just my thought on the term "classic". I noticed matthew 4:19 on there . I just happen to like that verse lol !

Matthew 4:19 KJV;

“And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

Matthew 4:19 from the Amp;

19 And He said to them, [a]Follow Me [as My disciples, accepting Me as your Master and Teacher and walking the same path of life that I walk], and I will make you fishers of men.”

I have *got* to quit opening these threads. I don't need another rod. <repeated as a mantra>

Beautiful work. I love lightweight rods. Hellagood fun with any size fish.

Kirk B.