Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
antonio999us

100% Homemade Balsa wooden plug - Attila Sparkling fat Minnow

They're pretty, and you're doing a really neat job ... but you can't call them "100%" if your using holographic foils and tapes to get the look.

90% might be more accurate at this stage.

That's not meant as a detractor, just an observation. Well done on the build, so far.

You're always raining on the parade. This is not an insult--just an observation.

They're pretty, and you're doing a really neat job ... but you can't call them "100%" if your using holographic foils and tapes to get the look.

90% might be more accurate at this stage.

That's not meant as a detractor, just an observation. Well done on the build, so far.

You're always raining on the parade. This is not an insult--just an observation.

At least this time, he didn't say he was "confused."

I agree with SilverCreek regarding the talents of Kirk Dietrich...he has truly been a guide and inspiration especially on hardbodied fly work. Note also the examples of foiled flies in the work shown...Beautiful! Ed

Nope, not kidding. While I appreciate the skill of shaping the balsa and making the lures, the finish is a big part of the attractiveness. Right?

So, calling tape and decals "100% homemade" is somewhat of an insult to people who can paint a lure like this.

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

When Antonio gets to this level in his painting, THEN his lures will be 100%.

For sure, Antonio is already about 99% better than I am. I am NOT demeaning his abilities ... just his claim of completely homemade.

Who forged those hooks? Talk about a dying art. They look as good as store bought.

Technically, Homemade simply means made at home. i would call it home made and not have an issue.lol we all have home made flys..but we dont make feather ect..

Hello friends and happy holidays to all Fly Tyilng Fishing Forum!!!

I am sorry to give you a very late answer to all your comments... I was too busy in the last weeks of the year end, with lot of work, and travelling around different countries to dealing tough processes...

Again, I have to apologize with all of you because my last three posts were not about flies. But if you remember, I asked you for this exception since the very first beginning, given that I wanted to show how I do these wooden plugs.

Well, I have read all your comments and I appreciate all of them. Maybe Mikechell is right, and I couldn't call my plugs 100% Homemade... but really it does not matter, because this is just the purpose of the Forum, and it helps me to improve my work. Anyway, I will still calling my Attila Fat Minnow plugs 100% Homemade, even though I use wood from Balsa trees planted in Brazil, hooks forged in Japan, glue made in China, paint made in USA and Holland, holograms made in Japan and USA, paper made in Peru, ink made in Germany, epoxy made in USA, Stainless steel wire made in Germany, lead made in Peru, soda cans aluminium made in USA, etc...

Maybe, I could have a whole painted plug and then I can call it 100% homemade, but actually, for the kind of fish that I look for, having a reflective hologram is very important, as well as those shocking colours.

Mikechell and all, let me give you a sneaky pic on my future project. Now I am working in the second generation of my plugs. I have made four little changes to the body shape, plug thick, weight shifting and lip angle. Also, this time, before I read all these comments I have not used a whole Hologram foil for plug's sides. Instead of that, I cut some Aluminium foil, then I simulated scales on it, and I put some strips of Hologram foil. Now I have a dozen plugs ready to be painted. Once I have them ready, I will let you know how I am doing this second generation.

I hope you all have an excellent 2016, plenty of fishng and health...