Fly Tying
sammothner

Best bobbin?

I use the Rite bobbin but i would agree with others that it doesnt spin well because its not balanced. I do spin my bobbin often for many applications so this can be a bother.

I do think the Rite has the smoothest drag which is way easier than manually adjusting the standard types of bobbins.

To each his kwn. My only advice would be to gdt one with ceramic insert to avoid thread tearing issues.

Tiemco is my favourite, but I also use Rite bobbins and Renzetti ruby tip. All are very good but I prefer bobbins with the ceramic tube or insert. Last a lot longer .

A few years ago I did approach Rite about solving the balance problem, It wouldn't be that difficult to achieve. They showed no interest. Shame as they would be great bobbins if balanced.

Cheers,

C.

Always hear the hollow complaint about the balance on the Rite bobbin, always from the same folks, and it never makes any sense to me. It spins, and it spins just as fast as any other bobbin. Amount of energy lost in the spin due to wobble is trivial in terms of tying. Further, the convenience of the Rite Bobbin far outweighs this particularly tired nitpick that purists like to trump up whenever the topic arises. Not sure how useful a recommendation based on a single idiosyncratic preference really is. It is far more reasonable to complain about is the price in my mind, especially if one is price sensitive.

End of rant...and yes, I do feel better now...

Amount of energy lost in the spin due to wobble is trivial in terms of tying.

Just playing devil's advocate ... but the bad spin of the bobbin might be a major issue to those who tie professionally. As a hobbyist, and only tying a few flies at a time, spin wobble isn't an issue. When you're keeping the spin out of floss on a thousand flies, I would imagine a little wobble would drive one batty.

I can assure you they do not spin anywhere near as fast as a standard bobbin. Certainly the mini and standard sizes which I had didn't. That is the single reason I stopped using them, (at a not inconsiderable expense). It is nothing to do with being "purist", it is everything to do with tying well.

The constant addition (or subtraction if you are left handed) of twist by wrapping the thread around the hook means that only rarely is the thread in an appropriate state of twist for the next operation. This means spinning the bobbin in one direction or another, often several times per fly. Add to this the times when you need to spin the bobbin for split thread techniques, and you will have a major slowing in your tying speed. As Mike pointed out, if you, like I am, are production tying it amounts to a great deal of time.

Of course this is more of a consideration in some kinds of tying than others, it certainly is a major one for the tying I do. I have often heard to quote that "you can tell how good a tier is by how much he spins the bobbin." Good tying is about attention to detail; attention to the detail of how much twist is present in the thread is seen by how much the bobbin is spun.

As we have a disagreement on a factual issue, I would invite you to try spinning the bobbin with both types. I am sure you will then see the difference.

Cheers,

C.

I recently bought 2 Stonfo disk bobbins and really like them. I got them from Marriot's, excellent service, great prices.

I have used the Norlander automatic bobbins for years because the work so well with a rotary vise. I load up a dozen spools with colored threads in 6/0 and 8/0.

Just received a Stonfo elite today. I've been using a Rite and like it but I'm mot crazy about the way it adjusts, the Stonfo adjustment is much better and I prefer the flat grip over the round.

Always hear the hollow complaint about the balance on the Rite bobbin, always from the same folks, and it never makes any sense to me. It spins, and it spins just as fast as any other bobbin. Amount of energy lost in the spin due to wobble is trivial in terms of tying.

This is just not true. There is more weight on one side of the bobbin that makes it wobble so erratically that it hits the vise and anything else that is an innocent bystander. The Griffin style bobbins spin without moving around at all. This erratic drunken bobbin movement becomes problematic if you are tying patterns that require a very flat base that require unwinding (copper john, jujubee, etc). The other method that makes the rite bobbin annoying is the split thread dubbing loop because you spin the bobbin to twist up your loop.

This being said... I really like my rite bobbins for certain applications.

Just received a Stonfo elite today. I've been using a Rite and like it but I'm mot crazy about the way it adjusts, the Stonfo adjustment is much better and I prefer the flat grip over the round.

The stonfo feels great in the hand, but the drag is constantly tightening or loosening depending on which way your thread is placed. The adjustment needs to be done over a much finer thread (machine screw style) on the shaft so it allows for micro adjustments. My fix is to get the tension set, and then putting some UV resin on the end of the cap to keep it where I want it... Pretty annoying.

The stonfo feels great in the hand, but the drag is constantly tightening or loosening depending on which way your thread is placed. The adjustment needs to be done over a much finer thread (machine screw style) on the shaft so it allows for micro adjustments. My fix is to get the tension set, and then putting some UV resin on the end of the cap to keep it where I want it... Pretty annoying.

I guess I'm going to find out why Rite made adjustment the way they did.