Fly Tying
bulb

Tigerflies

I'm going to flyfish for tigerfish in east africa come spring, and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on good patterns? What i've come across so far is baitfish patterns in bucktail and synthetics, colorwise alot of black, purple, and white.

My plan is to tie an army of congo hair baitfish on 2/0 gamakatsu b10s hooks. I've also thought about tube flies since the hooks are going to be taking a beating. Any piece of advice regarding tiger is appreciated.

/Hugo

About a year ago there was a guy in my local flyshop buying some gear for coastal seatrout fishing speaking in English! I asked where he was from? South Africa! I imediatly asked have you fished for tigerfish? He said "YES" i've been trying to explane to people how much fun that is, but no one understands! Sorry i didn't ask about flies! Probably baitfish in all sizes & colours for sunny days, clowdy days & dirty water! He said the teeth are big & long! Have fun!

I am thinking, after viewing many videos over the years, that you should tie some large bait fish patterns on 0/5 or larger, large wire hooks. Those fish have large teeth, but they also have large hard mouths. You'll need sharp, large hooks to bury a point.

There are several salt water hook types that might be appropriate.

maybe some of those large circle hooks?

There's no such thing as a 2/0 B10S. I would look at the owner aki, varivas 2600-V, and tiemco 600SP. That's a very bony looking jaw, I wouldn't go too heavy on the hooks, bigger hooks aren't as likely to penetrate.

thats a crazy fly. I'm sure he knows what works for what he is tageting but it just seems so bulky.....I've always have heard " less is more.." I guess not it that case...

Maybe more then usually becuase of the teeth. When ever I have caught toothy fish they toast a sprase fly pretty quick. So maybe a little heavy to make it last more then a few fish.

Thanks for the tips guys! Tied my first clousers today, trying to keep them sparse. Did an all black variant and a white/light brown. I think I'll try a variation of that black death fly.

Edit: just read your comment singletrack, my clousers are done for :P

I caught several tiger fish this summer on the Zambezi. I recommend orange and white cloisters, olive and white and red and white.

Show me one.

If I was back at my home instead of 9 hours away, I'd happily post a picture of mine. If I make it back to Cabelas, I can take a picture of the ones they were selling today. I'm not sure why you think 2/0 B10S don't exist.

I buy them in a bulk pack, only way ive ever seen them.

post-56603-0-59999600-1451183366.jpg